Thread: Stephen Davies Update

I have met Dr. Davies and for what its worth I can confirm he is a genuine good researcher with great stamina and know-how as for finding SCI cures - if all scientists was like him things would go smoother - and not only that, he gives of himself to the community by attending SCI conferences for spinal cord injured persons. And if some have doubts about the importance and possibilities as for astrocyte research - just check out the scientific literature on that subject.

Blog Entries
    susan m,

dr.davies probably is one of the nicest men on earth and i hope his therapy is the real deal. i have no way of knowing other than what is public knowledge. if someone tells me they have something fantastic but they can't show it to me, then my first and strongest reaction is strong disbelief. i feel you and charles hansen are genuine in your beliefs, but so are the supporters of medra,geeta shroff,x-cell,ken bryant etc.etc.etc.

i hope you charles are the believers in reality and i am just way too cynical, but my cynicism has been justified in most if not all.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    susan m,

dr.davies probably is one of the nicest men on earth and i hope his therapy is the real deal. i have no way of knowing other than what is public knowledge. if someone tells me they have something fantastic but they can't show it to me, then my first and strongest reaction is strong disbelief. i feel you and charles hansen are genuine in your beliefs, but so are the supporters of medra,geeta shroff,x-cell,ken bryant etc.etc.etc.

i hope you charles are the believers in reality and i am just way too cynical, but my cynicism has been justified in most if not all.
    I see. Now I understand your "Kool-Aid" reference. Please know that although I have written about my visits to Dr. Davies lab, I have also visited and spoken with a number of researchers from all over the country. As a result, I have learned a lot about the field and the effort involved in the research process as well as a few things that come up in conversation that may not be published. It is not my information to share. This is not uncommon and a lot of people talk to a number of researchers--I am certainly no one special. As this thread happens to be particular to Dr. Davies, I have tried to post a bit of what I can and share my optimism with others who may not have the same opportunities.
    Last edited by Susan M; 08-25-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    susan m,

thank you for your understanding and i sure hope you're right. i just wanted you to know my "Kool-Ade" reference came from charles hanson's post #1126, it wasn't my brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I have tried to post a bit of what I can and share my optimism with others who may not have the same opportunities.
    Thank you Susan, please keep doing so & don't pay too much attention to the excess of criticism, time will tell, hopefully very soon.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Davies has never solicited funds on this forum -- not even "Just A Dollar A Day"....
    Correction. Dr. Davies had directly/indirectly solicited funds from the CareCure community, and has acknowledged it. You might have forgotten but it was discussed earlier.

In my opinion, Dr. Davies is doing great things. He has partially severed the spinal cords of rats and produced far greater regrowth across the injury site than any other group. The key to this regrowth is not to use neurons, but rather astrocytes. He then demonstrated that there are (at least) two distinct populations of astrocytes. Next he demonstrated that one type of astrocyte gives no recovery, while the other gives robust (ie, "works every time") recovery. Finally, his most recent published paper showed that human stem cells could be used to repair rat spinal cords. This is exceedingly significant as it shows that there is a great likelihood that the results from rats will translate to humans.

In his last appearance at this forum Dr. Davies reiterated his commitment towards curing chronic injuries, and this was recently confirmed by Susan.

Doesn't taste like Kool-Ade to me.
    What I have come to understand over years of following SCI cure research is that human injury models are contusion as a rule and transection (from knife/bullet injury) as an exception. So far, Dr. Davies' published research/papers have been based on transected spinal cord. Recovery from chronic contusion injury in mouse/rat models would be the analog for us chronics. He had started work on such mouse models with Decorin alone and in combination with type I astrocytes long ago. There has been no information on the results. In its absence speculation suggests that Decorin alone was probably not found to be effective enough in chronic contusion injury model. Then again it can be speculated that efforts (Decorin plus other things) are ongoing, and we will know in the next five years. Of course, if history is any guide, we will probably be repeating that every year.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    time will tell, hopefully very soon.
    That was the same belief I had when the first glowingly positive reports came out about Davies research progress. That was nearly 7 years ago.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with failure (e.g. missing expected time lines). It seems the disillusionment is a result of the combination ongoing proclamations of 'great things are just around the corner' with no apparent translation to human trials.

To be clear, Davies basic research is important and impressive but it was the possibility of human treatment that lead me to donate several thousand dollars to his work (via the CU Fund) from 2006 to 2009.
    Last edited by quadfather; 08-26-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    That was the same belief I had when the first glowingly positive reports came out about Davies research progress. That was nearly 7 years ago.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with failure (e.g. missing expected time lines). It seems the disillusionment is a result of the combination ongoing proclamations of 'great things are just around the corner' with no apparent translation to human trials.

To be clear, Davies basic research is important and impressive but it was the possibility of human treatment that lead me to donate several thousand dollars to his work (via the CU Fund) from 2006 to 2009.
    What I see here is a "public relation" problem.
    Public relations are not easy to deal with, that is why there are people trained for this kind of job. Here in Italy, for example, a sociologist has been brave enough to set up a college degree in "Public Ralations" with masters etc...many years ago.
    The first time I heard of it I smiled... then, in a "creazy moment" I ended up in this college and I have understood why there is the need of profetionally managed public relations.

Going back to Davies, I have donated too. I am confident we will soon find out we have donated for something really good.
    As you know when donating for medical research there many unpredictible obstacles that may get on the way of results even when the finish line is in sight.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I think we all are confident he will suprise us with a big bang quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    dr.xiao is a chinese doctor,when he Collect a large amount of money from the patients with sci in his Clinical trials,dr zouzi fang criticized in websit. dr xiao let his friends go to kill dr zouzi xiao, dr zouz xiao was Minor injury by Hammer hit. dr xiao go into the prison。
    dr xiao is a rascal and criminals and liar!
    almost anyone knew his bad thing in china!
    Dear East Dragon,

Thank you for the information, as it is not readily available in the US. I am glad that Dr. Fang only suffered minor injuries and also that Dr. Xiao is now in prison.

To the other readers of this forum,

This is an extreme example of the kind of "competition" and "dirty tricks" that sadly occurs in too many fields of human endeavor. Remember when Tonya Harding's boyfriend injured Nancy Kerrigan before the 1994 World Ice Skating Championships? So sadly, this type of behavior is not limited to countries outside of the US. Usually it is more subtle than that, but there are "dirty tricks" in every field -- including politics, entertainment, sports, and scientific research.

Best,
    Charles Hansen