Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Schmeky, you're better than that. I'm sorry for whatever you're going through. We're all going through a lot, and it sucks.

But here's the thing. Everybody who has spent time with Dr. Davies comes away feeling like he is our best shot. So either he makes a really wicked Kool-Ade or else, just maybe, he's on to something.
    CH, it is completely legitimate of Schmeky to wonder/worry/ask for the chronic publication after so many years. It is a good thing, and I believe not something to be improved. I do appreciate your genuine concern about him and us in general.

You come across as an evangelist for Dr. Davies, and it is your choice/judgment to make. Please do not generalize it to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    i just can't get behind a lab that says we're doing really great things we can't tell you about so send money.
    To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Davies has never solicited funds on this forum -- not even "Just A Dollar A Day". Many forum members (including myself) recommend that SCI victims do some homework and select the researchers that they are the most confident in and try to raise money for them.

But it is a grave mistake to confuse the actions and/or posts of the forum members with the actions and/or posts of the researchers themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~

In my opinion, Dr. Davies is doing great things. He has partially severed the spinal cords of rats and produced far greater regrowth across the injury site than any other group. The key to this regrowth is not to use neurons, but rather astrocytes. He then demonstrated that there are (at least) two distinct populations of astrocytes. Next he demonstrated that one type of astrocyte gives no recovery, while the other gives robust (ie, "works every time") recovery. Finally, his most recent published paper showed that human stem cells could be used to repair rat spinal cords. This is exceedingly significant as it shows that there is a great likelihood that the results from rats will translate to humans.

In his last appearance at this forum Dr. Davies reiterated his commitment towards curing chronic injuries, and this was recently confirmed by Susan.

Doesn't taste like Kool-Ade to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Kinda like some Jim Jones Kool-aid..
    What? Are you suggesting that Dr. Davies is planning to kill people?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.
    Strange signature.

I don't know who Dr. Xiao is, but he is seriously out of touch with what is going on in this field. It won't take 50 years to restore the continuity of a damaged spinal cord. Dr. Davies accomplished that years ago in rats. He is working to translate that work to humans. The more money he has, the less time it will take.

As far as the "most respected scientist in SCI", obviously that is a matter of opinion. I'm not sure I would put a lot of stock in the opinion of one who is apparently so out of touch with the actual work that is currently happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    CH, it is completely legitimate of Schmeky to wonder/worry/ask for the chronic publication after so many years.
    No, actually it wasn't.

Schmeky was simply heckling Susan. She had said that she had spoken with Dr. Davies and that she wasn't at liberty to discuss unpublished work. She did confirm that Dr. Davies was focusing on chronic injuries.

Then Schmeky made a post asking for links to citations and/or papers. He knows good and well that they don't exist. He is mad about something and taking it out on Susan and Dr. Davies.

Not very fair of him is it? But we all have our moments. We all have HUGE problems that can be overwhelming at times. As I posted before, Schmeky may have given up on Dr. Davies, but Dr. Davies hasn't given up on us.

It seems odd that Dr Xiao says it will take 50 years and that Wise Young is his most respected scientist in SCI. Clearly Wise doesn't think it will take 50 years so Dr Xiao strongly disagrees with his opinion while having the most respect for him. I suppose that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    What? Are you suggesting that Dr. Davies is planning to kill people?

Strange signature.

I don't know who Dr. Xiao is, but he is seriously out of touch with what is going on in this field. It won't take 50 years to restore the continuity of a damaged spinal cord. Dr. Davies accomplished that years ago in rats. He is working to translate that work to humans. The more money he has, the less time it will take.

As far as the "most respected scientist in SCI", obviously that is a matter of opinion. I'm not sure I would put a lot of stock in the opinion of one who is apparently so out of touch with the actual work that is currently happening.
    dr.xiao is a chinese doctor,when he Collect a large amount of money from the patients with sci in his Clinical trials,dr zouzi fang criticized in websit. dr xiao let his friends go to kill dr zouzi xiao, dr zouz xiao was Minor injury by Hammer hit. dr xiao go into the prison。
    dr xiao is a rascal and criminals and liar!
    almost anyone knew his bad thing in china!

Blog Entries
    charles hanson,

you defend dr.davies, you promote dr.davies, you insinuate that because dr.davies doesn't even ask for "a dollar a day" he is on higher moral ground than dr.young. in dr. davies last post on this forum he stated clearly that his only concern was beating his scientific $competitors$. i feel that form of motivation is counter productive and not indicative of a personality trying to help others, but more self promoting. you and others state, on this web site, that you have inside information that is proof of the effectiveness of dr.davies research. the only information you share is poisoned "Kool-Ade" that you eagerly push on the general public. if dr. davies is making real progress why won't his presentation at working 2walk be taped? if he is publicly sharing his labs progress why not let the population unable to attend w2w also be enlightened? ask yourself if you would believe your own evidence you post here.

I wish all of you could spend time with Dr. Davies and visit his lab. He is generous with his time, knowledge, and information. Probably too generous as discussing unpublished information can seriously jeopardize research. I am confident that anyone who has met him personally would attest to how much he cares.

In my humble opinion, he is unfairly being persecuted in this forum. I regret posting anything and fueling the fire. I will not make that mistake again.

Then Schmeky made a post asking for links to citations and/or papers. He knows good and well that they don't exist. He is mad about something and taking it out on Susan and Dr. Davies
    Incorrect Mr. Hanson. I visted Davies when he was at Baylor in Houston TX in 2005 . . . said he was testing decorin in chronic rats, said he was going to trial . . . he published on acutes, no trials. That's fine.

Visted Davies in 2006 in Denver CO, said he was 18 - 24 months from clinical trials with decorin, for chronics. I didn't say this, he did.

I don't doubt he is working in his lab, but if you tell me "this", and deliver "that", all I ask is a plausible reason. What's wrong with that?

I'm not trying to throw a sting bomb in anybody's rose parade. I have great respect for SCI researchers and folks on this forum. Please don't ever attempt to speak for me or interpret my posts.

Working 2 Walk Presentations

Dr. Davies is not being taped because he is not presenting in the general session. Only presentations in the general session will be taped. If you would like to see a presentation on his work, it was videoed last year and can be found on the U2FP website.

There is a considerable amount of promising new research and there is limited time in the W2W schedule to include it all. It's a good problem to have! For this reason, we are referring people to our videos to watch the previously presented research and offer opportunities to ask questions in the break out sessions. The break out sessions are open to all.

U2FP is doing their best to bring this information to you and find opportunities for our voices to be heard. We need your support in whatever way you can contribute to keep this effort growing.

I sincerely hope that those of you who have an interest in the research and delivering our message to Capitol Hill, will be able to attend. For those of you who cannot make it this year, we will have videos from the general session available for you to view.

There is no controversy here. Both Dr. Davies and Dr. Young will be attending W2W and available in the break out sessions to share additional information and answer your questions. Both of them have presented numerous times at W2W and their research is included in our videos.

The schedule and list of speakers can be found here.

The early bird rate ends September 15.
    Register for Working 2 Walk here.
    Last edited by IMHopeful; 08-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr