Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Thank you Susan,

I was bashing or meant to sound difficult. Please understand that i'm desperate for something from a respected scientists like Dr Davies, Dr Young, Dr Kierstadt and or others. I have lived with a sci for 21+ years and the toll on my body has been very harsh not to mention the mental toll. I'm 41 yrs old now and lose a little more hope everyday.
    Will i ever get a break from the extreme pain that there 24/7 365?
    Will I ever get a good night rest ever again?
    Will i ever get a little more bladder control?
    Am I donating to a lab that want produce anything within my lifetime?
    Will i ever get to find a mate and find out what love is all about?

There are so many other issues that one has to deal with on a dailey basis, i'm just looking for something to keep me going.

I'm fraustrated! i live in texas where its been well over 100 for over a month now and when you dont have the ability to sweat it gets a bit rough. i'm getting cabin fever, always grouchy oh well i'll just stop there, i'm starting to whine now...................................
    ineedmyelin,

We have not forgotten Texas! I am coming there at the end of September and will hold an Open House in Austin, probably on the 30th of October.

Wise.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I guess I opened a can of worms. I'm sorry. Impulsively reacted to the negative posts about Dr. Davies work that I think are unwarranted. His timeframes may be off, but, his progress continues. I'm not at liberty to share unpublished data.
    Nah you didn’t. And don't be sorry. You in fact work for and promote some of the best SCI conferences in the entire world. Where some of the best clinicians and scientists are joining where people meet and discuss important things for finding SCI cures. So - Cheers to you Susan and the rest of you doing constructive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Sorry if the smilie give you a wrong view of my words Susan. With my post i tried to say that terrific is something totally different in my book than a ray of hope. I mean, to me ray of hope are like the kind of things we read almost every day in vague journalist reports, the eternal maybe some day... and stuff like that. On the other hand terrific stuff sound like something to turn heads around, the kind of thing we are really expecting from the research field, no? im wrong?

PD-Tengo que dejar de usar caritas tan a menudo Ox.
    You are right...ha ha, I need to brush up on my italian and spanish. Rumor has it you'll be at W2W-looking forward to meeting you in person, not just by Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    Can you at least say if his current work is aimed at chronics or acutes?
    Definitely chronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Nah you didn’t. And don't be sorry. You in fact work for and promote some of the best SCI conferences in the entire world. Where some of the best clinicians and scientists are joining where people meet and discuss important things for finding SCI cures. So - Cheers to you Susan and the rest of you doing constructive things.
    Thank you, Leif.

The part of discuss is old , get things going.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    The part of discuss is old , get things going.
    You want to get things going? That's easy -- just raise some money for Dr. Davies. A million or two should be good.

I'm one of those liberals that you think should be neutered. I believe that the role of the government should be to take on projects that are too large for any one person. Things like national defense. Or do you think each person should have to hire their own mercenaries to protect their land? And police protection. Or do you think that one should have to hire private guards to keep their house safe? And fire departments. Or do you think that everyone should have to pay private companies to put out their house if it catches on fire?

And scientific research. We know that the drug companies won't pay to have anyone cured of anything. Their only function is to increase the value of the shareholders' stock. Their ideal scenario is to patent a drug that will prolong the life of the patient indefinitely, but will need to be taken every day for the rest of their life. They love blood pressure medications and cholesterol pills. SCI? Fuggedaboutit!

So after you neuter me, why don't you do yourself a favor and donate some money to Dr. Davies. $10,000 won't cut it -- that barely pays for a couple of months for a research assistant. $100,000 would only pay for one research assistant for one year. To make a real dent, we are talking about $1 million. $2 million would be better. And $10 million would solve the problem.

We're all waiting...

the time

Time is our best friend and worst enemies!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    You want to get things going? That's easy -- just raise some money for Dr. Davies. A million or two should be good.

I'm one of those liberals that you think should be neutered. I believe that the role of the government should be to take on projects that are too large for any one person. Things like national defense. Or do you think each person should have to hire their own mercenaries to protect their land? And police protection. Or do you think that one should have to hire private guards to keep their house safe? And fire departments. Or do you think that everyone should have to pay private companies to put out their house if it catches on fire?

And scientific research. We know that the drug companies won't pay to have anyone cured of anything. Their only function is to increase the value of the shareholders' stock. Their ideal scenario is to patent a drug that will prolong the life of the patient indefinitely, but will need to be taken every day for the rest of their life. They love blood pressure medications and cholesterol pills. SCI? Fuggedaboutit!

So after you neuter me, why don't you do yourself a favor and donate some money to Dr. Davies. $10,000 won't cut it -- that barely pays for a couple of months for a research assistant. $100,000 would only pay for one research assistant for one year. To make a real dent, we are talking about $1 million. $2 million would be better. And $10 million would solve the problem.

We're all waiting...
    Bang I'm becoming a fan of yours.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Blog Entries
    charles hanson,

the problem with donating money to Davies, as you state, is that research assistants work 2 months for $10,000.00 but a year costs $100,000.00. no wonder they can't figure out a cure.