Page 103 of 145 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1442

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

I would hope that the Canadians diversify and seriously look at the other options and not just cord blood and lithium. I think SCIChina, SCINorway, SCIUSA and SCIIndia all doing a clinical trial on one therapy is ok, but I feel there is probably some other options that should also be seriously considered to be moved forward. I'm glad another country is funding SCI research. Every dollar counts, so hopefully the RH Foundation works on something other than cord blood and lithium. Maybe we'll be getting closer to the champion therapy that will prove to be the "ultimate" !!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?ref=rss

Rick Hansen, who has championed research into spinal cord injuries, praised Saskatchewan on Tuesday for spending $4.3 million on a five-year initiative in partnership with the foundation that bears his name
    "If I am going to complete the original dream of a cure for spinal cord injury, we need to have every province ensuring that their best researchers are thinking and applying their energy and knowledge to discovery," Hansen said in Regina on Tuesday.
    Saskatchewan's funding will go to spinal cord injury research, support for the Canadian Paraplegic Association of Saskatchewan and the Clayton Gerein Legacy Fund. Gerein was a celebrated Saskatchewan wheelchair athlete and seven-time Paralympian who died in 2010.
    It has been 25 years since Hansen, a paraplegic, wheeled his chair around the world during his Man In Motion tour, raising awareness and money for spinal cord research.
    Saskatchewan is the second province in Canada, following B.C., to form a partnership with the institute.

Canada, or the RHI, is not taking part in any clinical trials at the moment or the foreseeable future. It's unclear what, if any, regenerative therapies will be funded with this money.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I would hope that the Canadians diversify and seriously look at the other options and not just cord blood and lithium. I think SCIChina, SCINorway, SCIUSA and SCIIndia all doing a clinical trial on one therapy is ok, but I feel there is probably some other options that should also be seriously considered to be moved forward. I'm glad another country is funding SCI research. Every dollar counts, so hopefully the RH Foundation works on something other than cord blood and lithium. Maybe we'll be getting closer to the champion therapy that will prove to be the "ultimate" !!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...5.html?ref=rss

Rick Hansen, who has championed research into spinal cord injuries, praised Saskatchewan on Tuesday for spending $4.3 million on a five-year initiative in partnership with the foundation that bears his name
    "If I am going to complete the original dream of a cure for spinal cord injury, we need to have every province ensuring that their best researchers are thinking and applying their energy and knowledge to discovery," Hansen said in Regina on Tuesday.
    Saskatchewan's funding will go to spinal cord injury research, support for the Canadian Paraplegic Association of Saskatchewan and the Clayton Gerein Legacy Fund. Gerein was a celebrated Saskatchewan wheelchair athlete and seven-time Paralympian who died in 2010.
    It has been 25 years since Hansen, a paraplegic, wheeled his chair around the world during his Man In Motion tour, raising awareness and money for spinal cord research.
    Saskatchewan is the second province in Canada, following B.C., to form a partnership with the institute.
    Grammy,

do a deeper investigation..

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    ..............Canadians supporting a dictator ruling sci organization system where a foundation, not based on democracy and elections, but a system of privates position themselves to get the most sci funding from Canada, without a foundation doing any except hiring their wife’s and friends into such foundations. Canadians accept this breach of a bottleneck, but prosper for a brighter future, they think, and many does short term, especially the hired ones in such a system -but many in this world today, fight back against such systems. Why doesn’t more do, ask questions and fight back? Like why does Canadians accept huge government money go towards a family operated organization, where none Canadians has real impact on the operational day to day business, where none rise a finger up, as for concern, except if others point out such for provoking discussions, but even then, Canadians argue back to put that finger level, and name all idiots, all accepted by most Canadians? Are Canadians brainwashed? Input on this is appreciated.
    I HOPE "Canadians" can prove you wrong with some facts.. since none did yet I am afraid they have just words and no facts...
    If these facts would exist Leif,me and others would have had answers on FB some time ago...
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    David (shemecky) you are whining like a spoiled kid
    As usual my nordic friend, you mistake "whining" for accountability

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    As usual my nordic friend, you mistake "whining" for accountability
    Schmeky, my friend, your exhortations for accountability are completely rational and especially called for given what was stated (although not promised with an iron-clad guarantee) by the scientist/clinician pair you met in Denver when they were soliciting funding from CareCure and other patient communities. Dr. Davies has signed a non-disclosure agreement, and there is very little information anymore on things that matter to sci chronics like success/failure/replication of different therapies on relevant injury models, and potential time lines for clinical trial. It is frustrating to hear time and again that we are working hard with no other substantial information.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    It is frustrating to hear time and again that we are working hard with no other substantial information.
    We are all frustrated that we don't have a cure and are walking around, pain free. Yet it is frustrating to see time and time again that we either don't read the posts or don't read them carefully. Please re-read a few of these:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=973

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=960

and at least read the abstract from Dr. Davies' latest paper:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0017328

( which was already duplicated in this post: )

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=977

After you have read those, please look me in the eye (figuratively speaking, of course) and tell me that there is "no other substantial information".

Dr. Davies is an extremely thorough, careful, and methodical researcher. You won't see any "cold fusion" hyperbole coming from his lab in an attempt to boost the stock price for some publicly-held company, or to bring much needed monies in from private foundations. At the same time, he has an extremely creative mind that has led him to new discoveries that others have overlooked. This combination of creativity and methodicalness is extremely rare in anybody, including a scientific researcher. When he says that his lab was the first known successful transplantation of human astrocytes into rats, I would say that is significant and substantial information. Why?

1) He showed that regeneration is not just possible with "lower" life forms, but by using human cells in rats. The next step is to show that human cells will work in humans. (Step-by-step, inch-by-inch.)

2) He showed that there are at least two populations of astrocytes, the GDA-BMP and the GDA-CNT. Previously these were only proved to exist in rats. Now he has shown that the same populations exist in humans and that they have the same regenerative properties in rats (or lack thereof in the case of GDA-CNT) as the rat cells do. This demonstrates that there are fundamental similarities between the rat CNS and the human CNS, all the way down to the smallest functional building blocks, and that many (if not most) experiments in rats will translate to humans.

I believe that he has at least one or two more papers in the "hopper" and that we will continue to see "substantial information" over the coming year.

As you note in the part of your post that I did not quote, he cannot release any of the preliminary results of any of his experiments prior to official publication. So we will have to wait for the next paper before we receive more "substantial information". As others have noted, the review process can be quite lengthy and, in many cases, overly political.

Nonetheless they will be published sooner or later, and each one brings us a step closer to what we all want -- first, human trials and then a generally released cure.

Please don't let your frustrations with the "system" or Dr. Davies' choice to spend more time doing research than posting on CareCure lessen your enthusiasm for what he is doing. To date he has:

a) Developed a method to repair partially transected spinal cords in rats, so that they recovered 100% of their functional mobility.

b) Shown that this recovery led to no incidence of neuropathic pain.

c) That there are actually (at least) two populations of astrocytes. One is associated with the formation of CNS "scar tissue" and increased neuropathic pain, while the other leads to recovery without pain.

d) That these two same populations exist in humans.

e) That transplanting the human cells into rats led to even greater recovery in rats than using the rat cells. This strongly implies that this technique will work in humans.

f) He has stated that he is fully committed to bringing these same benefits to chronic injuries, as well as the acute injuries that his published papers have focused on.

I believe that his team is leading the way and that right now it represents our best chance for recovery. I don't really want him to spend time talking to me, or posting on CareCure, or having to raise funds. I want him to work his butt off in the lab, publish more papers, and spend time with his kid. YMMV. Thanks for listening.

That was excellent post C.Hansen. Thank you and thank to Dr. Davies for his great effort.
    If he need human rats I am ready to go to his lab :-)) Hope both Dr. Davies and his wife, Brain Tumor researcher would succeed in what they doing as they would made cure for me with SCI and my wife with brain tumor...
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Charles Hansen, my friend, I think we are differing in what we mean by substantial. In the context I had used it I don't mind saying it to you again:

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    ....there is very little information anymore on things that matter to sci chronics like success/failure/replication of different therapies on relevant injury models, and potential time lines for clinical trial. It is frustrating to hear time and again that we are working hard with no other substantial information.
    I don't doubt that he is sincere and committed just like he was five years ago when he said clinical trials in the next five years. However, the lack of progress on substantial issues is frustrating given that it has already been five years.

As I mentioned in my earlier post #1001, if the new plan is to use induced pluripotent stem cells to derive GDA BMP cells, the path to clinical trials could have become indeterminately longer because of discovery of mutations in IPS cells. I wish there was someway to clarify this. Would it be possible for you to clarify this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    If he need human rats I am ready to go to his lab :-))
    I have already told him that I would happily dress up in a rat costume with a long tail and whiskers. He has so far declined....

Hang in there!