Page 80 of 145 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Yes, that's exactly right. I spoke with him briefly a few weeks ago and he and his team are working furiously. He called me Saturday morning while I was still asleep. When I returned the call he was just heading home after spending a full day in the lab! He said that he just doesn't have time to post here at the moment.

So yes, no news is good news.
    Thanks for your response, Charles. I understand that he is very busy and probably utilizes his time aside from the lab to contact and speak with people who will have the most meaningful impact. However, it would be nice to be tossed a bone -- every little while. Until then, I'll keep my eyes open on this thread and occasionally check research publications.

The silence here can sometimes be discomforting. It could also be my own discomfort of feeling "out of the loop." I know it may sound trite, but next time you speak with him could you ask him to reserve a moment to share his thoughts w/us (As brief as they may be).

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    next time you speak with him could you ask him to reserve a moment to share his thoughts w/us (As brief as they may be).
    It's partly a question of time -- he has a young child of about 3 years, so any time not spent on his research goes to his family (as it should). But it's also a question of the way the system works. He has spent the last year or two conducting new experiments. Now he is preparing and analyzing the data in preparation for publication. But it's considered highly unethical to divulge the results of a study before the paper is published. So we will have to wait for the paper, which will be a while. It has to be submitted, reviewed, accepted, and finally published.

In the meantime he can't really say anything meaningful here, similar to the situation at the Work2Walk conference last summer. I just look at the science he has already done, which is absolutely brilliant, and also know that he is fully committed to the job. And wait impatiently...I want to get out of this chair, too.

The best thing I can do is to raise money for his research. So that is what I do. A close friend is fairly well off and has made sizable donations on my behalf. The recent movie "Avatar" featured a paraplegic in the starring role, so I am trying to get a letter to James Cameron asking for financial support. There are all sorts of things we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by News Article
    "I feel confident in saying that I'd be really disappointed if we didn't have something within the next five years that is of major benefit to people with spinal cord injuries," said Dr. Stephen Davies, associate professor in the department of neurosurgery at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
    You've got to be kidding. . . . . . . did he really say this?? Really?? If he did, we've all been duped. I don't know any other way to say it.

Schmeky; Please elaborate a little further on your thoughts.

Speaking for myself, I donated money when we were updated regularly by Dr. Davis. I know he must be very busy with the research and his family but I have to think that if he came here once in a while to give us "hope", the research money he badly needs might be coming in to him by Care Cure people more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz
    However, it would be nice to be tossed a bone -- every little while
    According to a recent newspaper article, you just got a 5 year bone. Bon' appetit!!

Charles- A simple "I'm still working on experiments and I look forward to publishing in the next year" would be something. The recent newspaper article says nothing.

Not much nutrition in that bone.

I remember when I got hurt almost 3 years ago, I read where he said curative therapies will be out in 3-5 years. I used to donate to him regularly and even went to see him speak a few times but now it seems like everything he has to say is just the same thing over and over again. Now damn near 3 years later here he is being quoted saying the same ole thing, 3-5 years. Now I also have a 3 year old and run a company, but I know this much, if I had a responsibility to thousands of people who have donated to my cause and to people who believe in me in whom I keep giving this 3-5 year hope time frame, I'd sure as hell make a few minutes in over a years span to update them. This whole thing about him not having time and waiting a paper so he cant give us the common courtesy to say something is BS. Its starting to sound like he's making excuses. Even if its just a hello or hang in there guys n girls that would be cool. Its just not very polite to act like he's acting. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying because I do want him to be on to something but I'm just saying you can drop a line once a month or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    You've got to be kidding. . . . . . . did he really say this?? Really?? If he did, we've all been duped. I don't know any other way to say it.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse's Mom View Post
    Speaking for myself, I donated money when we were updated regularly by Dr. Davis. I know he must be very busy with the research and his family but I have to think that if he came here once in a while to give us "hope", the research money he badly needs might be coming in to him by Care Cure people more than it is.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature