Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Mystery solved. After more poking around the "Neurosurgery" website I found that it is a PDF of an oral presentation. However as a non-subscriber, the price of the reprint is $63.84 with tax. I think I'll pass...

http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery...acute.154.aspx

CNS ORAL PRESENTATIONS: PDF Only

Any new updates on Decorin or chronic related studies?

Skipow,

No. And there won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies View Post
    Realistically we are probably looking at 2 to 3 years before we are ready to start clinical trials with human GMP grade GDA cells, once again if we are able to increase the pace of current research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies View Post
    The chronic SCI experiments we are currently conducting are in large part made possible by donations from CC.

there are also plans afoot to put together the infrastructure for conducting SCI clinical trials here in the US in future.
    ...4 years ago. What should people expect from Dr. Davies in future?

Mar. 3, 2011 — For the first time, scientists discovered that a specific type of human cell, generated from stem cells and transplanted into spinal cord injured rats, provide tremendous benefit, not only repairing damage to the nervous system but helping the animals regain locomotor function as well.

With these results, the Proschel and Davies teams are moving forward on the necessary next steps before they can implement the approach in humans, including testing the transplanted human astrocytes in different injury models that resemble severe, complex human spinal cord injuries at early and late stages after injury.
    SOURCE

Sounds like they have (had) a lot more lab work ahead of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    I don't think the forum allow words like:

f-u-c-k-i-n-g
    a-s-s
    s-h-i-t
    You don't read much outside of Cure, do you?

Attachment 48100

Dr. Davies was wrong about Decorin. I doubt that he knew it when he stopped posting. Regardless, I'll bet he added to the knowledge required to find a cure.

Personally, I wish he had stayed in touch, told us what went wrong, and what he planned next. But, having seen how failure is handled here, I have no idea why any serious researcher would post here.

Now, can't we stop beating this dead horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    You don't read much outside of Cure, do you?
    That's true, I don't. So perhaps the forums do allow crude language. If that is so, I wonder why they deleted the posts where Schmecky told me that I was a fucking idiot and a shit head, and yet they left the post where he dismissively said that nobody would ever hear of any results from Dr. Davies Decorin experiments.

Seems like petty politics t me, with Dr. Jerry Silver abandoning his own presentation at the W2W conference to harass Dr. Davies during his presentation on results of Decorin experiments on chronic rats, this time injured with Dr. Young's favorite method of contusion injuries.

No matter what Dr. Davies does, all he receives from this crowd is criticism. apparently either politically or personally motivated....

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    Attachment 48100

Dr. Davies was wrong about Decorin. I doubt that he knew it when he stopped posting. Regardless, I'll bet he added to the knowledge required to find a cure.

Personally, I wish he had stayed in touch, told us what went wrong, and what he planned next. But, having seen how failure is handled here, I have no idea why any serious researcher would post here.

Now, can't we stop beating this dead horse?
    And just out of curiosity, what makes you think that Dr. Davies was wrong about Decoriin?

I agree with your statement 101% that I have no idea why any serious researcher would post here. Well except that I have heard that Care-Cure generates about $30 million per year in donations. Of course that doesn't go to all of the serious researchers who post here but just one or two specific ones.

And, unfortunately, it seems to be a part of human nature to keep beating those dead horses. (Although you did make a wonderful animated GIF that one could not help but laugh at!)
    Cheers,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Clearly the act of birth triggers some sort of change in the basic biochemistry of the CNS.

Dr. Davies simply inserted a catheter into the dura surrounding the spinal cord and infused the cerebro-spinal fluid with the decorin. The decorin knew where to go and what to do all by itself. My understanding is that it "turns back the clock" for a period of a few weeks, so that an adult can have the same regeneration of the CNS that is present in a fetus.
    So, if Decorin is put in the spinal fluid and knows where to go and what to do all by itself and it turns the central nervous system back to the fetal stage for a few weeks...is a few weeks of the cord reverting back to a fetal stage enough to cause massive regeneration throughout the entire cord? I've never heard of a simple small proteoglycan having such capability. Would this be a cure mechanism for say other indications such as MS, TM, ALS and Parkinsons that also involve the CNS? Are there scientists doing basic research projects with Decorin for these other indications perhaps not involving SCI?

Hi Grammy,

That is a good question. I have no idea of the answer to that. My understanding is that Dr. Davies has been approached by victims of those other diseases, asking him to use his techniques on their diseases. However he has declined to work on those areas at the present, stating that his first commitment was made to the SCI community.

He has spoken of a group using Decorin to treat (eg, reshape) the corneas of persons with vision deficiencies so that they don't need to wear corrective lenses. My understanding is that he hopes that group will get Decorin approved by the FDA so that then anyone can use it for "off-label" uses. My understanding is that this process is an expensive one and he is hoping that the other group will pay for the approval process and then he can proceed with human trials.

As usual, my memory is very poor and I may have mis-remembered or mis-understood. If people want to attack someone for a comment I make here, please attack me and not Dr. Davies.

Thanks,
    Charles Hansen