Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI_OTR or anyone: Going from 24" Wheels to 25" on Top End Terminator?

SCI_OTR or anyone: Going from 24" Wheels to 25" on Top End Terminator?

I'll be getting new wheels soon, 25" X-Cores, to put on my Top End Terminator. I'm wondering if I'll need to adjust the caster height a bit to compensate so the chair isn't front-tippy when I transfer. If so, how do I go about adjusting? I'm thinking of buying new casters as well, by the way. These are pretty worn out.

Thanks!

You will as you are changeing every angle.. Dump, backrest, caster tubes everything. You'll probably put more weight over the front too.

Easiest is to change castors... I just did this from 26-> 25 and 5->4 in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    I'll be getting new wheels soon, 25" X-Cores, to put on my Top End Terminator. I'm wondering if I'll need to adjust the caster height a bit to compensate so the chair isn't front-tippy when I transfer. If so, how do I go about adjusting? I'm thinking of buying new casters as well, by the way. These are pretty worn out.

Thanks!
    To the contrary, as the rear of the chair is elevated, the front becomes less tippy. Consider the opposite, if you were to progressively lower the rear wheel height (or just take it to the extreme, imagine putting on 10" wheels), the distribution of your weight would transfer from the front to the back -- you would be reclining backwards (redundant, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212
    To the contrary, as the rear of the chair is elevated, the front becomes less tippy.
    Oh, I know. I meant tipping forward when I said "front-tippy". I don't want my chair to be less tippy, and I don't want the chair to be prone to flipping forward over the casters if I'm transferring and most of my weight is on my feet, over the casters.

Paton, thanks for the post. But I don't want to get a larger diameter caster. I want to kept the 4" casters I have or even try 3" but make sure my COG stays relatively the same.

Assuming your currently running 24x1 tires, if you go to 559 X-Cores you may or may not be able to keep everything copasetic. You need to get the front STF 1/2" higher.

If you have FrogLegs or a newer Terminator then you have three holes. Switching to the lowest hole would do it. I'm guessing that isn't an option since you would have thought of that yourself.

If your Terminator is a few years old, and you have the standard fork, there is only one hole. To my knowledge, it is not possible to insert a spacer on the fork stem between the caster barrel and fork. Other than going to a larger caster, ordering a taller fork from Top End (I don't know the specifics of your Terminator, but I'm guessing you would go from a 4" fork to a 5" fork).

Switching to FrogLegs if you don't already have them may be a possibility.

Lastly, omitting tires from your X-cores would enable you to keep your front STF height and have the added benefit of shaving some weight from your chair.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Lastly, omitting tires from your X-cores would enable you to keep your front STF height and have the added benefit of shaving some weight from your chair.
    But traction will be alittle sketchy

I went from 24s w/ skinny primo tires to 25s w/ mountain bike tires. I swapped 6" soft roll casters for the 4" ones that I previously had installed... worked well for me.

Yes, I know you don't want to go bigger, but whatever.

How are your transfers? Hopovers? Transfer board? I have a patient who just went up in rear wheel size as well, and it threw him off briefly because the wheel extends further into that "transfer zone". There is consideration for this with the seat depth of course. He does hopover style transfers. He hit the wheel initially, and without sensation on his bum could not tell. Just a bit of re-training and he easily clears the wheel again. Thankfully no skin breakdown from the training phase.
    Pam

Thanks, everybody!

SCI_OTR -
    Yeah, I figured I'd need to raise the front up 1/2". I'm running stabdard 24" x 1" wheels/tires now, 4" casters. My Terminator is a few years old, so I don't have the forks with multiple holes. I think I'll just get a new set of 4" casters with forks that'll bring my front end up about 1/2". I don't really like the idea of Froglegs. For some reason, I don't think going sans rear tires will be doable.

Pam -
    My transfers are sliding board and sliding board/hopover. I do have sensation, so that helps me know where my butt is and if I'm hitting the tire. I anticipate a little adjustment period with my transfers.

I would call them and verify, but I believe this is the fork you would need from TopEnd (800) 532-8677.

1063540 5" Fork Assembly (includes fork, stem, and locknuts)