Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need answers

I need answers

My husband will be 2 years post SCI on 2/2/05. He was injuried at C-3 to C-7, but recovered to a C-6. He developed a pressure wound in August 2004 and has been in bed since. On Nov 13 2004, he aspirated his breakfast and developed a bad pneumonia that almost killed him. He is now at home with a trach and oxygen during the day and on a bi-pap machine at night. He will not eat much and he is getting more breakdown. His immune system is already down because he had MRSA, then pseudomonas, and now Ecoli in his wound. He looks terrible and I am afraid he is going to die. Has anyone ever been through this before as well and please give me some input or any suggestions. Thanks...Heather

im really sorry to hear that.... sounds like he should be in the hospital getting an i.v. of highly strong antibiotics to fight the infections off.

Where is the wound located? I would think he needs IV antibiotics as well?

He has been on vancomycin, tobramycin, levaquin, etc since August. He was hospitalized on Nov 13 when he developed pneumonia and came home on Jan 6, 2005. The doctors said that the antibiotics probably won't help much since he has been on them for so long. the wounds are located on the sacral area with stage 2 ulcers. one on his left buttock and one that is beginning on his right trochanter area. He is turned constantly, but without proper nutrition, i feel it is a lost cause. He seems so far gone and I am terrified. The doctors just go with the flow and not telling me much.

Things are looking grave but there are therapies that could be tried. There is a drug call oxandralone (Oxandrin) that could stimulate appetite and nutritional balance. You might also want to have him evaluated for depression. If he is depressed (and he has good cause to be) one could try a drug called mirtazipine (Remeron) that stimulates appetite and helps with sleep as well as reducing depression. I hope you have plenty of support for yourself because this must be hard for you too. You may need help just for yourself.

RAB

What type of bed is he on?

If he is not eating, and has a very low albumin, then tube feeding may need to be considered.

What is being done for his pressure ulcers?

Does he have a good SCI physician or a SCI clinic he can be seen in? He may need to be hospitalized again in a specialty wound care program to get him built up and appropriately treat his wounds.

(KLD)

Hi there HB:

I strongly encourage you to join this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/scic/

They are a wonderfully smart, encouraging, and resourceful group of family members who have been through exactly what you describe and more. They will help you with advocating on behalf of your spouse, for that sounds like what needs to be done. They also have resources for most every state, for assitance and respite for you. Many have unique and uncommon suggestions for healing wounds and encouraging appetite. Please sign up and share your situation, I know you'll get some assistance.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both,
    River

He is on a pressure relief mattress and we have not been able to find an SCI physican in our area. He has a feeding tube, but doctors will not give him the feedings due to the wounds and how the feedings cause constant diarrhea. He takes periactin 4mg qid for appetite, but it does not help, he has also tried megase and marnaol(they do not work either) and I have done everything I can for him, not only that but the without the oxygen his pulse ox. drops in the 80's. He also goes into these very deep sleeps that you cannot wake him from. It is getting so scary and I feel that me and my 2 small babies are watching their dad & husband slowly die.

I'm not a doctor or nurse or understand your insurance situation but it sounds to me like you need to get him to a hospital as soon as possible and let the professionals get him stabalized.

Nurses - any reason why HeatherBug couldn't just bring her husband to the hopital or call for an ambulance that you can think of?

Steve

I still say get him in the hospital asap! demand some help