Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my new chair :)

Help me pick my new chair :)

My 6 yr old Invacare Torque is need of repairs so my ins may want to just order a new one. I'm going to demo some but want to narrow my choices down. I guess I mostly use it indoors as I have a minivan for transportation, so speed and power isn't real important. Reliability is my main concern [in about 12 yrs of 2 invacare chairs I've been stranded only once]. Second is size, I want something as unobtrusive as possible, vain yes I know. I don't need power tilt or recline but I have my back adjusted at an angle I want to be able to do that. The sales rep has been pushing for the permobil but I don't like the big wheels in front though I do like the footrests. I like chick and chris' Quickie p222 but I have to test the tippiness going up my vantage ramp to my van, I do not want to tip back much!

Are there any other chairs I should consider I might not know about that are dependable and kinda sleek?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

If it is reliability, an adjustable seat & back angle (ADJASBA), and limited tippiness you seek, then you may want to consider another 4 pole 3G Storm series powerchair. The midwheel drive TDX SP with the ADJASBA rehab seat is also a nice powerchair and would be more maneuverable. While it is relatively new, I haven't encountered any major problems with the one's I have ordered during the previous year. If you like the Permobil's center mount legrests, Invacare has a new center mount footboard which would improve maneuverability in close quarters. It took long enough, but they finally made it wide enough for people to sit with normal leg alignment and no pressure points.

I see from your profile you'll also have a "silver anniversary" this year. Still hard to believe I've lived life with an SCI longer than without.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 08-23-2007 at 10:11 PM.

I saw the chair I like the footrest but that may be the only thing I like about it. All those wheels seem a bit much. I may be too picky to find anything I like

It is very hard to believe it's been 25 years, still trying to figure out how to mark the date.

btw does anyone who was at w2w remember what kind of chair Sabrina was in? I remember admiring it and it was quiet.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-19-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    btw does anyone who was at w2w remember what kind of chair Sabrina was in? I remember admiring it and it was quiet.
    she had quickie?
    btw, have u seen permobil's Street chair? the wheels are in the back.
    the Aeron seating system is cool but i think u may have to get the seat aeron style too? otr do u know if u can just get the back aeron style, and not the seat?

a low corpus back on the street would make for a great chair.

Yeah Liz that is the model I want to see in person. The aeron back is cool looking but I'm used to my varelite back that has some support on the sides and my boney uncomfortable butt needs cushioning

I have a TDX4, like the one you showed on an earlier post, and it's tiny and very maneuverable. I have the center mount footrest to make it even smaller. I also have the P-222 which is enormous compared to the other one, and nowhere near as maneuverable. I hope this helps.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Oh wow thanks ry that helps. Is the P222 bigger in that it is longer? The specs online didn't give the overall length.

I looked at the Street's specs and it says it's 42" , also the Permobil chairs are 300-350lbs! So much to think about.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-19-2007 at 06:08 PM.

It's much longer. The P222 is rear wheel drive versus mid-wheel drive for the TDX. Most of the time I'm in a manual chair, but I choose to use the TDX when I'm in the power chair because the other one is just too big to get into my van comfortably, there's a lot of maneuvering I need to do to get the P222 in its spot properly.. I have a ramp van like you.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I demo'd 2 chairs today and I'm still unsure. The rep brought the TDX SP with all the power options cause he thinks I need tilt or recline for my circulation -cold reddish feet when down. I really only want the power center mount as I will only use the feature a couple times during the day probably. What i didn't like about it is that it was so freaking high off the ground my current chair is 17" and it's perfect. I just checked Invacare's site which says you can get a low seat at 17.5 so I wonder why he said that 19 was the lowest [unless we go thru some company Invacare bought Med-something and then the chair would be longer for my longish legs -hip to knee ].
    I tried the c400 permobil with FWD, which was hard to get used to but the controls were also on the wrong side for me. I like that the base is shorter and narrower but it looks bigger maybe because of those lights, which I'd not have put on, but also because it looks a little boxy to me.

Has anyone noticed a change in the temp or color of their legs by having power leg rests? Or tilt. i don't want to get more than I need. Thanks!

It could be that he mistakenly said "your circulation" when he meant to say "my commission".

Without power seating, you can get a front STF height on a TDX SP of 16.5" with no dump. Add 1/2" for every 5 degrees of seat dump.

He may have been referring to Motion Concepts. While they make very good seating systems, their power center mount legrests on the TDX SP are a disaster. I was optimistic when I heard Invacare would be offering them, but they decided to mount them at the front of the seat pan instead of underneath. They are also very long which brings the STF height up to 19" because of ground clearance issues.

I spent a great deal of time after work reconfiguring 2 TDX SP's to reduce their overall length so that they could be used in the real world, and I have not ordered them since (See before and after pic below). In fact I will be removing them from one of those chairs and installing the one piece foot platform in a month or so. With the manual center mount platform, overall length on a power tilt system is in the neighborhood of 42". On a TDX SP without power seating, it may be less. I had one come in earlier this week and will try to find time to measure it tomorow.

Unless power tilt is included with the power center mounts, they have little effect on circulation because your feet need to be above the level of your heart to counter gravity. Unless you need power tilt for pressure relief, you'll have a much lighter, more-maneuverable, powerchair with seating similar to your current chair if you go with the ADJASBA Rehab seat and manual center mount front riggings/one piece platform.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 09-13-2007 at 09:31 PM.