Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SpinLife or Sportaid?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    If you haven't changed your STF height on your A4 for awhile go with the ZR. There is a lot of COG adjustability and with the tension adjustable by straps upholstery you can tweak your dump slightly. SportAid came out much lower when I configured mine because of they will include Spinergy Spox for $299.
    I think both vendors have a "we will not be undersold" guarantee, so the deciding factor is, ultimately, where you feel most comfortable. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with specing and pricing your chair with each of them, being completely aboveboard about it -- after all, it's your money -- and base your decision upon who's pitching the best deal in price and customer support. In fact, you owe it to yourself to contact both -- that's simple due diligence.

You definitely won't get burned with either company as they're both highly reputable. But you may find a better fit with one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Do you have to tighten things often? What adjustments do you find yourself making often? Why?
    the only thing Ive EVER had to tighten is the brakes...

I love to change the cog and the dump in my chair. I change from 24" tires to 26" tires all of the time and I like changing things around, besides I liked the idea of not being stuck with a chair I couldnt use...which has happened before with my gpv.
    C5-6 - 22 years

I have used both and have had no problem. I would consider the ZRc and get away from the adj. brackets.

I'm no longer satisfied by the fit of the A-4. Not sure why exactly. (The upholstery is threads, the cushion is beat up). I guess I should tweak it until I like it more before ordering a new chair, but I have a current prescription and some money in a MSA that is disappearing fast. I might pull the trigger on a ZRA, but I still believe the ZR is the better chair for me.

I am glad to learn that customers are happy with both of the online vendors I am considering.

Any tips on getting private insurance reimbursement using these companies (neither is in my network).
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 08-24-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

One benefit of the ZR is that you adjust your COG using holes in the lower "stalk" on frame instead of sliding clamps on the seat rail. As a result, the chair will track absolutely straight because the camber tube is always absolutely perpendicular to the frame. While this can be done on a ZRa, it is more difficult to attain that degree of precision.

Depending on your rear STF height, the ZRa may not provide as much adjustability as one might think without having to hack the camber tube mounting clamp.

If you need rear anti-tippers, end of debate, you have to get the ZRa.

You do get 1/2" front STF height adjustment up or down on the ZR. If you are fairly certain about that measurement and your rear seat-to-floor height go with the ZR. There is still a lot of fiddling you can do with it.

One benefit of the ZR is that you adjust your COG using holes in the lower "stalk" on frame instead of sliding clamps on the seat rail. As a result, the chair will track absolutely straight because the camber tube is always absolutely perpendicular to the frame. While this can be done on a ZRa, it is more difficult to attain that degree of precision.

Depending on your rear STF height, the ZRa may not provide as much adjust ability as one might think without having to hack the camber tube mounting clamp.

If you need rear anti-tippers, end of debate, you have to get the ZRa.

You do get 1/2" front STF height adjustment up or down on the ZR. If you are fairly certain about that measurement and your rear seat-to-floor height go with the ZR. There is still a lot of fiddling you can do with it.
    I see that the aligned holes would be an easy way to assure that the camber tube remains perpendicular to the frame. This doesn't concern me if the sliding clamps stay put where set. I'm used to measuring accurately to precision tolerances.

You bring up an important question about anti-tips. I have tried with and without. I prefer with, they have saved the back of my skull on several occasions. mostly when I forgot that my backpack was overloaded. I got a short ride in a ZRA with tippers. Set as high as possible, they were still much lower than my A4 at the highest setting. Any tricks to get them higher and still work? I know that if they get stuck a couple times when climbing curbs and such, they will get set aside and never used. Tippers are a consideration, but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a ZR.

More of a concern is would the ZRa deliver the promised STF adjust ability? The PT suggested 17" rear, 20" front and said that I could play with it from there. I intend to dig out my A4 measurements or remeasure all critical dimensions. I also want to measure my chair related body dimensions. I am concerned that I get a good fit. I also need to study the order form more carefully. There is a lot of good info there.

I have a another question. How to order a seated back angle of approximately 90 degrees corrected for dump. The PT said to let the vendor answer this when I asked if the recommended 92 degrees on the order form needed to be adjusted for dump. Seems that I would need to order 86 degrees to achieve 92?

I want to thank you for all that I've learned reading your posts here and in other threads and for your willingness to share your knowledge.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

The seat back angle is relevant to a horizontal plane and not the seat rail, therefore, 92 degrees would be 92 degrees--regardless of dump.

Per the TiLite Rigid owner's manual, rear STF height adjustability is generally 1.5" either way on the ZRa, but is dependent on initial set up.

On either chair, the back angle can be adjusted easily. BTW, it is also a much better designed mechanism than on your A4.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 08-24-2007 at 04:16 PM.

The seat back angle is relevant to a horizontal plane and not the seat rail, therefore, 92 degrees would be 92 degrees--regardless of dump.

Per the TiLite Rigid owner's manual, rear STF height adjustability is generally 1.5" either way on the ZRa, but is dependent on initial set up.

On either chair, the back angle can be adjusted easily. BTW, it is also a much better designed mechanism than on your A4.
    Ok, I see now. Here's where I jumped the track, skimming again.

SEAT BACK ANGLE
    G Measure angle from front of back post to
    floor. 90° will be perpendicular to the floor. To approximate the
    angle from the back post to the seat, subtract 2 degrees from
    measurement
    G for every .5” of dump.
    ??? Under what circumstances would someone select an 80 degree angle?

Last edited by Foolish Old; 08-24-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Foolish

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    ??? Under what circumstances would someone select an 80 degree angle?
    C'mon Foolish, you live in the Keys. Hurricane season!
    ........................._____
    ...............o ... _____
    ............./__.. _____
    ...........O o

C'mon Foolish, you live in the Keys. Hurricane season!
    ........................._____
    ...............o ... _____
    ............./__.. _____
    ...........O o
    ROTFLMAO! I actually had to rest my head on my insteps once to make headway against a strong wind. This was just after surgery and I had little strength.
    Foolish