Thread: pneumonia again?

pneumonia again?

I had pneumonia the last two years. Between getting the pneumonia shot, taking my Emer'gen - C, and eating properly, I really thought I wouldn't get it this year. Sunday morning I woke up sneezing, but otherwise felt okay. Monday morning I woke up sneezing and achy and tired. Tuesday I felt a little worse, and now today, Wednesday I'm feeling worse and worse. I have a cough now and my chest is tight. I'm not throwing up although I feel like I could any minute. I've had a fever on and off. I'm only a little bit congested. I have a project I volunteered to do and the deadline is mid-Feb. If I get pneumnoia again, I'm screwed.

Like I said, I'm not very congested. I've been laying in bed with my head elevated anyway. What else should I be doing to help prevent pneumonia? I feel like hell. I'm currently out of bed to make dinner for my daughter, but I'm not going to attempt to eat anything myself because I'm sure it will come right back up. I'm freezing even though I'm wearing a hat and two sweaters. Thank you for any advice. I am going back to bed.

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 26 years
    Mom for 7 years

doesn't laying around and not moving worsen or cause you to get pnumonia?

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Some peeps are only alive because its illegal to kill them.

Shannon, please go see your doc - the sooner you treat this, the sooner it will go away!

Whew! I feel a whole lot better today. I'm more congested than before, but unlike yesterday, I don't feel like I'm going to die. I even just ate lunch. It smelled good, looked good, and tasted good, so I'm obviously much better.

Solarscar, I've wondered about that myself. Not laying around wasn't even an option for me last night though. I don't know when it's best to let your body rest and when it's best to be out of bed. I guess I'm letting my body tell me. Last night I thought someone would have to bring my daughter to school today for me, but this morning, I felt well enough to drive her. I spent the rest of the morning back in bed, but now I'm up for lunch, and pretty soon I'll have to go pick her up.

Marmalady, I wanted to put off calling my doc because I figured she would put me on antibiotics which would then cause bowel problems. If I wasn't feeling any better today though, I would have called.

Thanks for letting me gripe. I have to admit that I am a bit superstitious. I thought if I posted yesterday, I'd get better. Now I'm a little worried because I'm posting that I'm better, so what's going to happen tomorrow?!

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

You talk about pneumonia shots, but did you get a flu shot?

It could still be flu or a cold without pneumonia, if you take care of yourself.

See a doctor.

RAB

Dammit, what the hell is wrong with me? I thought I was getting better. Turns out I was just feeling a little better for a few hours. I've been sick for a week now. With the pneumonia shot and not being very congested, how could I have pneumonia again? I woke up this morning with all this gunk in my lungs. I just don't get it.

RAB, no I did not get the flu shot. I tried though.

I called my doc on Friday and she said I could come in, but there wasn't really any point to it since it's a virus that just has to run it's course.

Why does this keep happening every winter? I got pneumonia for the first time 2 years ago, and then I got it again last year, and now I have it again. Should I plan on getting pneumonia every winter for the rest of my life?

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

Shannon, you may have the flu. Everyone with a SCI is considered high risk and should get a flu shot annually. It is not too late for anyone, and the supply has easied up considerably.

Keep in mind that Pneumovax only helps to prevent pneumonia caused by pneumococcal bacteria (which is the most common cause). It does nothing to prevent pneumonia from other bacteria, or pneumonia from a viral infection. It is also possible that you may have bronchitis instead of pneumonia.

Drink plenty of fluids. Do extra quad coughing to keep your secretions cleared out. If you have a spirometer, use it every 1-2 hours while you are awake. Get rest, but don't stay in bed 24 hours as being too sedentary can increase retained secretions. If your secretions become yellow, green, or bloody, you need to see your physician. If your fever goes over 103, you need to see your physician or go to the ER. If you are having trouble breathing (either a fast rate of breathing, or dyspnea...feeling like you have to work to breathe), go to the ER.

I am surprised your doctor did not recommend an antiviral drug. If taken within 24 hours of symptoms appearing, this can decrease the seriousness of a flu infection.

(KLD)

What other bacteria causes pnuemonia? And, what are the major symptoms that distinquish it from bronchittis or the flu? I also couldn't get a flu shot so got a second Pnuemovax after 6 years. I have had bronchitis before and I'm rarely coughing so that doesn't fit the bill. Like Shannon I am feeling exhausted and when it's possible I just want to sleep. Have a slight fever of 99.6 but then my normal is about 97.6. My breathing seems ok but my ribs and chest feel heavy. I am sooooo tired of seeing my doc's face. I also haven't been around people who haven't had flu shots. Seems everyone could get one but me. And I wash my hands a lot or use Handiwipes when out before eating or after a lot of pushing.

I am now going back to sleep.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Sue, I hope you feel better soon. Sounds kind of like what I had. Mine lasted a little over a week and I think it was the flu. I did start to feel it in my chest, but it didn't lead to pneumonia this time. Maybe that's because I got the pneumonia shot this year.

Anyway, get well!

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

Thanks Shannon. I think you may be right. I slept most of yesterday and feel better today. Still achy but managable. It just may be a mild case of the flu. Hope you're up and chasing your daughter around soon.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."