Thread: Vitamin D

Vitamin D

I am a C4/5 quadriplegic and I recently visited a physiatrist. My injury occurred 20 years ago and I've never been on any type of calcium. He suggested I be on 500 international units of vitamin D. The problem being, I can only find it in 400 international units. Does this sound right?

i would just take a multi-vitamin where you get 100% of the RDA of the key vitamins and minerals

People who use wheelchairs for anay reason tend to be deficient in Vitamin D. If you have prescription drug coverage ask your doctor to test your blood vitamin D level. I always ate right and 2 years post SCI needed 6 months of 50,000 IUs every other day to play catch up. Might want to ask about calcium too since the two are needed together to maintain bone.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Vitamin D in your diet is rarely sufficient even if you drink fortified milk. Unless you get at least 2 hours of sunlight a day, your body cannot make the vitamin D you need. Many multivitamins do not have sufficient vitamin D either, as there is a fear that you could get an overdose (it is a fat-soluable vitamin). Most people with SCI should take either a multivitamin and extra vitamin D, or a vitamin D and calcium combination product.

(KLD)