Thread: mylogram findings - would you tell a pt that there was nothing to be concerned about?

mylogram findings - would you tell a pt that there was nothing to be concerned about?

After many tests for unexplained falls I had the mylogram performed and my neurosurgeon stated “there is nothing in the report that could be causing your condition IE: my falls.

The test result read as follows:

At T12-L1 there is a moderate sized disc herination and there are posterior projecting osteophytes. There are in the midline and slightly more prominent to the right of midline and efface the ventral subarachnoid space and approach the ventral surface of the conus medullaris. There is no definite compression of the conus. A left lateral disc protrusion or herniation at the level encroaches upon the left T12 neural foramen.

After reading this would this cause you any concern??

i had harrington rods that ended at t12

In the impressions section of the report it reads:

Moderate sized disc herniation and bony encroachment upon the spinal canal at T12-L1 as well as encroachment upon the left t12 neural formen secondary to a lateral disc protrusion or herniation.

Does the impression concur with the report if so, why do you think my DR. would find no concern after reading it ??

Do you think my nurosurgen was correct to tell me that there was nothing there to be concerened about??

After the mylogram he sent me for an evoked potentials test which showed slight abnormalities consistent with someone who had a prior spinal injury.

i didn't find out about the results until i went to the rothman insititute 4 months later

After the rods were removed it was found that the disc at T12/L1 was about 25-30% encroached into the spinal canal and so unstable under certain movements it would cause a shock to the cord causing me to fall.

please privite message me back if you can - thanks
    Last edited by FIREGUY; 08-13-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Fireguy,

I cannot speak for your neurosurgeon. However, what you have described here so far is too incomplete to provide an real basis for concern and, more important, does not immediately suggest a solution.

It is not clear to me what your problem is. From your first statement, I get the impression that you have had some falls. But then you say that you had your harrington rods removed. Finally, there are reports that you may have some discs that may be pressing on some roots or possibly the spinal cord. Do you have new pain or weakness that can be attributed to the disk herniations?

Encroachment on the spinal canal or the neural formamen (the canal through which the spinal root passes) is not the same as indentation or compression of the spinal cord or a spinal root. What evidence is there that there is compression of the spinal cord or the root itself? If there is none, this explains why your neurosurgeon was not concerned.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREGUY
    After many tests for unexplained falls I had the mylogram performed and my neurosurgeon stated “there is nothing in the report that could be causing your condition IE: my falls.

The test result read as follows:

At T12-L1 there is a moderate sized disc herination and there are posterior projecting osteophytes. There are in the midline and slightly more prominent to the right of midline and efface the ventral subarachnoid space and approach the ventral surface of the conus medullaris. There is no definite compression of the conus. A left lateral disc protrusion or herniation at the level encroaches upon the left T12 neural foramen.

After reading this would this cause you any concern??

i had harrington rods that ended at t12

In the impressions section of the report it reads:

Moderate sized disc herniation and bony encroachment upon the spinal canal at T12-L1 as well as encroachment upon the left t12 neural formen secondary to a lateral disc protrusion or herniation.

Does the impression concur with the report if so, why do you think my DR. would find no concern after reading it ??

Do you think my nurosurgen was correct to tell me that there was nothing there to be concerened about??

After the mylogram he sent me for an evoked potentials test which showed slight abnormalities consistent with someone who had a prior spinal injury.

i didn't find out about the results until i went to the rothman insititute 4 months later

After the rods were removed it was found that the disc at T12/L1 was about 25-30% encroached into the spinal canal and so unstable under certain movements it would cause a shock to the cord causing me to fall.

please privite message me back if you can - thanks