Thread: New Feature Announcement -- Quizzes!

New Feature Announcement -- Quizzes!

Do you want to share your knowledge with others, but don't know how? Or maybe you would like to learn a new topic that another CC member is knowledgable of?

Here's your chance, thanks to CC's newest feature -- make your own quizzes for other users to take.

Making quizzes isn't even that intimidating, so don't sweat it. Here's how: just use three new BB codes -- [quiz], [question], and [answer].

A sample quiz would look like this:

[quiz=Sample Quiz]
    [question]What is the name of this site?[/question]
    [answer]'Plegic Place[/answer]
    [answer]Crip Corner[/answer]
    [answer=y]CareCure[/answer]

[question]What university does Hans Keirstead do his research at?[/question]
    [answer=y]UC Irvine[/answer]
    [answer]UC San Diego[/answer]
    [answer]UC Berkely[/answer]

[question]What enabled California to spend $3 billion on stem cell research over 10 years?[/question]
    [answer]George W. Bush[/answer]
    [answer]Concerned Women for America[/answer]
    [answer=y]Proposition 71[/answer]

[question]Which of the following candidates would [b]not[/b] expand federal funding of embryonic stem cell research if elected president?[/question]
    [answer]Hillary Clinton[/answer]
    [answer]John Edwards[/answer]
    [answer]Dennis Kucinich[/answer]
    [answer]Barack Obama[/answer]
    [answer=y]Mitt Romney[/answer]

[question]Who was Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2006?[/question]
    [answer]Howard Dean[/answer]
    [answer=y]You![/answer]
    [answer]Jon Stewart[/answer]
    [/quiz]
    As you may have noticed, correct answers are marked by appending =y to the [answer] tag. Quizzes can contain as many questions as possible, and questions can have as many answer choices as you provide.

The sample quiz above would appear as:

[question]What is the name of this site?[/question]
    [answer]'Plegic Place[/answer]
    [answer]Crip Corner[/answer]
    [answer=y]CareCure[/answer]

[question]What university does Hans Keirstead do his research at?[/question]
    [answer=y]UC Irvine[/answer]
    [answer]UC San Diego[/answer]
    [answer]UC Berkely[/answer]

[question]What enabled California to spend $3 billion on stem cell research over 10 years?[/question]
    [answer]George W. Bush[/answer]
    [answer]Concerned Women for America[/answer]
    [answer=y]Proposition 71[/answer]

[question]Which of the following candidates would not expand federal funding of embryonic stem cell research if elected president?[/question]
    [answer]Hillary Clinton[/answer]
    [answer]John Edwards[/answer]
    [answer]Dennis Kucinich[/answer]
    [answer]Barack Obama[/answer]
    [answer=y]Mitt Romney[/answer]

[question]Who was Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2006?[/question]
    [answer]Howard Dean[/answer]
    [answer=y]You![/answer]
    [answer]Jon Stewart[/answer]
    -->

This has been tested in Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. If you have any trouble with it, let me know.
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 08-16-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

What an excellent idea!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks Lynnifer! I used a version of these in high school to prepare for academic team and vocab tests, only I had to type the answer in manually instead.

Now that I have this thing working with vBulletin, do you have any quiz requests?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Yes - scientific ones. The nerves die after spinal cord injury and that's why we need regeneration ... questions about gray matter vs white matter, complete and incomplete. Atrophy vs spasms. I think we all could stand to increase our scientific knowledge of our own causes of paralysis (so we can be armed with knowledge when fighting for research monies!) I see huge possibilities for this!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Yes - scientific ones. [...]

I think we all could stand to increase our scientific knowledge of our own causes of paralysis (so we can be armed with knowledge when fighting for research monies!) [...]

I see huge possibilities for this!
    A girl after my own heart. *sniff*

Good idea, I doubt I'll get 100% on the science ones though
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    Good idea, I doubt I'll get 100% on the science ones though
    I doubt many will at first.

The hope is that people will keep taking the quizzes once they're added until they can score 100% every time. The scores aren't recorded or displayed to others, so people shouldn't be afraid of taking them and being ridiculed by others if they score poorly.