Thread: If you have a child or grandchild that watches Disney

If you have a child or grandchild that watches Disney

I watch the Disney Channel with my grandchildren. I saw that they advertised their chat room. Be careful, thats the perfect age for predators. My grandson is nine years old and gets on the INTERNET a lot. So, talk to them to be careful.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Thanks for the warning. My 11-year old like the Disney Channel too. But he is not writing too good English yet, but in the channal they talk Norwegian and I haven't really followed because I am one of the few who don't like cartooons.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by maryonwheels46
    I watch the Disney Channel with my grandchildren. I saw that they advertised their chat room. Be careful, thats the perfect age for predators. My grandson is nine years old and gets on the INTERNET a lot. So, talk to them to be careful.
    Disney chat rooms are monitored, but I still see no reason to allow children of that age to access chat rooms or message boards.

C.

Why not?

Theres no racism, war, hate or anything else evil on a board like that. Just because 20yrs ago we could do it, or didn't care about other places, doesn't mean todays kids aren't. The world has change dramatically lately, and like it or not this is the new way.

A message board/chat like this is a wonderful oppertunity to learn about other peoples worlds, in a safe controlable enviroment. I use to watch all these shows and wonder about the places. Now they can go and find out.

Any person under 17 or 18 should be monitored when using a computer for chatting anyways, but making it a bad thing is wrong too.

Even funnier, while I say all this, I hate chat and social networking sites...

If chat rooms for children are monitored, I see no problem in kids conversing with one another online.

Laws need to be tougher on child predators. Let the drug addicts out of prison and keep the child rapists in them.

Mine IMs only people on her list which is only 3 people. She never has asked to chat. However our computer is junk. SHe gets email also but everything copies to my mailbox also. She's only 10. I think it is a great tool for learning and meeting people and shouldn't be banned. It's hard to say how you would feel unless you actually have children. However we all agree monitoring is absolutely necessary. There are definitely some freaky people out there (and in here )
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

oops oops
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.