Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tension Adjustable By Bungee

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    You won't be able to fold the backrest down with side guards in place without extensive mods with the Aero Z locking back mechanism. See issues I experienced with that design here...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=122660
    My side guards fold down, so I hope everything will work without modification. Your thread is chock full of great ideas. Thanks!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Great idea!

SCI_OTR,

I just saw this thread yesterday and I have to say what a brilliant idea!

You have come up with some very innovated ideas that not even 'chair companies have thought of!

Do you have a patent on this "back support system?"

Seven dollars verses $700 for Jet Stream Pro back system. I gotta go! I'm off to Home Depot!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I like that method and will definately keep it in mind for my next chair if it's needed. Thanks SCI_OTR

I also wanted to share my cheap trick to add support to my seat back.
    I put this strap on when I first got this chair. Origionally it's purpose was only to cover the Invacare logo lol, but it added extra support. It actually self tightens as you lean into your back, so you don't have to worry about pulling it so very tight with your hands. And my seatback has never blown out (as I have seen on other's top ends).
    I think this was the seatbelt strap that came with the chair. The length and velcro just happened to work perfectly.

hopefully this diagram and pics explain themselves. (that's my dog Einstein in the background :P)
    The added strap is in blue.

Mike
    T4 since 2003 motocross accident.

Although I think TiLite makes some of the best back upholstery out there, I wasn't willing to pony up the additional $105 SportAid charges for tension adjustable by straps back upholstery (TiLite's MSRP=$150). The only difference between it and the standard "Velcro adjustable" upholstery are a few D loops and Velcro straps between the two backrest ears. Without those straps on a relatively low back (12"), however, the top of the upholstery did not provide the degree of support I wanted. Since TiLite's backrest ears are fairly wide and relatively thick, I took a soldering iron and poked a row of holes along the inner edge of each ear, then laced some black mini-bungee cord though the holes.

Not only does the upper half of my backrest provide excellent support, the added tension/elasticity keeps the ears from sliding on the back post and gives ever so slightly if I lean back into it. It is very comfortable.
    You didn`t have problems with your back upholstery holes? that metalic things i show you, would be good to put in the holes you had open, any repaired could put them to you, even you, they are cheap and easy to put.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    You didn`t have problems with your back upholstery holes? that metalic things i show you, would be good to put in the holes you had open, any repaired could put them to you, even you, they are cheap and easy to put.
    Actually, there is no need for them. Since this is the Velcro adjustable upholstery there are large sections of Velcro sewn very securely into the front and back sides of the backrest ears. This really reinforces the section where the holes will be placed. When the holes are created with a soldering iron, the nylon and Velcro melt and fuse together. As a result, a nylon "grommet" is formed. Due to these factors, it is extremely unlikely that stress from the bungee cord will tear the backrest ear. One should inspect the holes melted in the material to make sure that no sharp barbs of melted nylon created as the soldering iron is removed. The barbs could cut into the mini-bungee, but it those could easily be smoothed out using a small file or rolled up piece of sandpaper.

The additional thickness added by the metal grommets might create "bumps" when the center panel flap is put back in place--giving it an irregular bumpy appearance.

The mini-bungees will wear out with time because the fabric covering the rubber strands will also self-attach to the hook Velcro. The mini-bungee is inexpensive and easily replaced.

The most-likely "failure scenario" would be the mini-bungee unthreading through the holes. To prevent this the starting and ending holes need to be small enough so that a simple knot in the bungee will prevent it from being pulled through.

I have only tried this on my backrest, and I have heard about anyone else trying it themselves. It may not work as well on chairs which have integrated push handles (don't know).

Fortunately, however, it is a reversible mod (aside from the holes melted into the backrest ear).

I would be cautious about trying this with another manufacturer's upholstery...

...Uhmmm..Let's just throw in a CYA liability disclaimer to be on the safe side:

If you attempt this modification, you may fall, tip over, or lose control of the wheelchair and seriously injure yourself or others or damage the wheelchair.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 10-30-2010 at 07:00 PM.

...Uhmmm..Let's just through in a CYA liability disclaimer to be on the safe side:
    lol . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

look at that goofy hound-dog trying to steal the show, lol...

crash, what kind of tires are those?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    look at that goofy hound-dog trying to steal the show, lol...
    He must love the camera!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>