Thread: Ordering wheelchair... Please comment on measurements

Ordering wheelchair... Please comment on measurements

I´m quad, c6/c7, 6"1 and 165 lbs
    After measuring and remeasuring for the umpteenth time based on the chair I have been using. I have settled on the following specs for a melrose wheelchair that I plan to order shortly
    Rear seat width: 15.5" (no taper)
    Seat depth: 16.5"
    Front seat height: 19"
    Rear seat height: 15.0"
    back height: 15.5"
    Footrest Width: 10.5"
    Seat to footplate: 16"
    Overall frame length: ??? I don´t know how i can get this.
    Front frame angle: 85 degrees or 80 degrees
    COG: 3"(not sure)
    Front casters: 4" x 1" alloy
    Rear wheel: 25" Spinergy LX
    Side guards: Aluminium
    Wheel locks: Aluminium scissor lock
    Handrims: Vinyl
    Front forks:Std.
    Camber: 3º
    Please comment on the measurements, parts and options. All help is appreciated.

which Melrose? Since you're not sure of COG, I presume one of the adjustable ones.
    To get overall frame length (when it's not provided), I wrote a spreadsheet using some assumptions and trigonometry. For my chair my calcs were very close (calc'd=32.35"; actual=32.2")

Attached is my spreadsheet. Unless you know trig (e.g., radians, degrees, tangent) and Excel, it's very hard to follow. You need to input the value for the light-blue cells; the white cells are calculated.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-30-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added line to spreadsheet
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I nominate this spreadsheet for a sticky.

Good work.

[QUOTE=chasmengr;1277589]which Melrose? Since you're not sure of COG, I presume one of the adjustable ones.
    /QUOTE]
    i was thinking in titanium model..with COG adjustable
    thanks for helpening!

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    I nominate this spreadsheet for a sticky.

Good work.
    Thank you
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by feabud View Post
    I´m quad, c6/c7, 6"1 and 165 lbs
    After measuring and remeasuring for the umpteenth time based on the chair I have been using. I have settled on the following specs for a melrose wheelchair that I plan to order shortly
    Rear seat width: 15.5" (no taper)
    Seat depth: 16.5"
    Front seat height: 19"
    Rear seat height: 15.0"
    back height: 15.5"
    Footrest Width: 10.5"
    Seat to footplate: 16"
    Overall frame length: ??? I don´t know how i can get this.
    Front frame angle: 85 degrees or 80 degrees
    COG: 3"(not sure)
    Front casters: 4" x 1" alloy
    Rear wheel: 25" Spinergy LX
    Side guards: Aluminium
    Wheel locks: Aluminium scissor lock
    Handrims: Vinyl
    Front forks:Std.
    Camber: 3º
    Please comment on the measurements, parts and options. All help is appreciated.
    Everything appears reasonable to me. (Personally I prefer hub locks, softroll casters, solid seat pan, and Natural Fit handrims, but that's just me.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

4" of dump? Is that ok, guys? Maybe consider ergo seat? I don't know - I have 2.5" without ergo.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    4" of dump? Is that ok, guys? Maybe consider ergo seat? I don't know - I have 2.5" without ergo.
    I've been looking for someone to convince me of the benefits for some time (and remember I am not only an end user, but a full-time SCI seating therapist). I still have yet to hear a convincing, medically-sound, rationale.

Top End was the first to offer it and I think TiLite, Colours, and others started offering it because Top End had it (who marketed it like it was the second coming of the Herman-Miller Aeron office chair).

I think the ergo seat has been around long enough, that we would see it on a lot of end user's wheelchairs if it worked as well as advertised.

4 dump with 3 COG makes the chair tippy?

Quote Originally Posted by feabud View Post
    4 dump with 3 COG makes the chair tippy?
    Depends the backrest height and the backrest angle too in how tippy will be the chair, but a 4 dump with 3 cog almost in all chairs will be tippy.