Thread: seat back brace

seat back brace

The orthotist was here this morning. She brought something called a "seat back brace," which is like a corset in the front and leather in the back. It's supposed to give me more seating support than the plain corset does, and might (underline might) reduce the scoliosis a bit while I'm wearing it, so I might feel less crooked while sitting. I hope it works out.

She also brought some night foot splints, which I've needed (I have some foot drop, and my achilles tendons, especially the right, always are tight.)

Alan

There's a fungus among us, and I'm not lichen it!

Alan, glad you are finally getting some care. How did you get all this home care (dentist and therapist)? Are you getting a physician too?

Be very careful with your skin with the corset. We used to use modified maternity corsets a lot, but had them modified with a sheepskin lining to prevent skin breakdown. Gradually build up wearing time, and inspect your skin carefully after each removal.

(KLD)

We found the dentist last year - he travels around Baltimore to care for homebound patients. I needed a new dentist, anyway - my old one had pretty much given up doing anything but teeth cleaning (which normally was all I needed.)

The orthotist was recommended to me by the PT who had come by last fall to check me out. We had tried to get an exercise program going, but it didn't work out because of the damn back pain.

My GP has always been willing to come over when needed (especially when I ran a fever.) Now, he comes for my annual checkup, too. I'd still prefer to be able to get out. Maybe when the Palladone is available, and we try that, it will help some.

The brace will have sheepskin padding, and we always keep an eye on my skin - even more when trying new equipment.

Alan

There's a fungus among us, and I'm not lichen it!