Thread: Push to Walk continues to grow

Push to Walk continues to grow

Push to Walk now seeing a full roster of clients and getting closer to non-profit status.

Bloomingdale, NJ -- Push to Walk, a Project Walk® Certified Facility, opened its doors on January 15, 2007 with three clients. Today, just six months later, they have had a total of twenty-one clients come in for evaluations and workouts. Currently, fifteen clients are coming in for intensive exercise workouts 2-3 times a week. Of the twenty-one clients, four have come from out-of-state for the program, staying for a few days then returning home to continue their workouts on their own.

On June 16, the management at Push to Walk has hired a new trainer, Mark Sprague, who will participate in the “trainer-in-training” program learning The Dardzinski Method™ through the Project Walk Institute for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery. Sprague joins the program with 4 ½ years experience as a physical therapy aide, and has an education background in Exercise Science. Both Push to Walk and Project Walk are pleased to have Sprague join the staff and look forward to him working with clients one-on-one in the near future.

Because of it’s success, Push to Walk has been able to add two new pieces of equipment to its gym: the Power Plate and the RT300-S FES Bike. Both instruments have been incorporated into regular workout sessions with most clients. Adding state of the art technology and equipment is important as the program strives to help its clients reach their goals.

On the business side, the IRS has requested additional information required for the processing of Push to Walk’s 501c3 Tax Exempt Status determination. The team at Push to Walk is hopeful that this will be finalized by the end of August. They are also working with their local Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in developing a Business Plan that will be used for grant writing proposals and fund raising purposes. The SBDC offers free services through cooperative agreements with the Small Business Administration and William Paterson University.

For more information on Push to Walk, please visit www.pushtowalknj.org. If you would like more information on the certified facility program or education programs available to SCI professionals through Project Walk, please contact Christel Mitrovich at cmitrovich@projectwalk.org or visit www.ProjectWalk.org.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I wish you would open a place in Philly. Or Delaware County, PA.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I attend a similar outfit and cannot recommend highly enough that people seek and try out an exercise based SCI program. I have seen and experienced so many gains that you owe it to yourself to try. Good luck!

Replying to alpentalic

I firmly believe that exercise is good - strengthens the muscles. I have a C1/C2 nerve damage, incomplete, I barely walk with a cane, off balance and hyperextension in my knee, because of the hyperextension - I had a torn meniscus (knee) and had to have an orthoscopic surgery, now the other knee is giving me some problem. The knee dr. told me not to be on my feet that much. Have you got an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fayeboo
    The knee dr. told me not to be on my feet that much. Have you got an answer?
    answer to que?