Thread: How many people have laminate flooring and use a power chair?

How many people have laminate flooring and use a power chair?

there is a good post on flooring, but most responders use manual chairs. My power chair is > 300 pounds, add me and now you're talkin almost 500 pounds! The chair pulls the carpet away from the wall now, I'm worried what will happen to the "floating" laminate floor. My house is on a slab. Will that cause any problems?

thanks in advance.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ours holds up good. My husband + chair run about 650lbs. We installed the floor ourselves(about 2 months before his accident) on a pad over subfloor. It has'nt buckled or chipped anywhere.
    The only thing I don't like is cleaning it. But with Wheels, kids and dogs it seems it is destined to be dirty.

Good luck with the floor!!
    Jennifer - Married to Jeremy (C-5 inc. brown-sequard) mommy of two little drama queens

Scott, I also use one of those gigantic electric wheelchairs (Permobil 2K) and we have laminate flooring throughout the house. We've had a pretty positive experience with it, as long as it doesn't get wet. My wife drags the furniture all over it and it still hasn't scratched yet, plus my chair handles pretty well on it. My only suggestion would be to get the interlocking kind (opposed to the kind you glue) so it is easy to replace if it gets damaged, and don't forget water equals bad for laminate flooring, it swells up like roadkill. Good luck!

Yep, the laminate can take a pounding. Just make sure you have a pro install it.

We have the Armstrong brand self locking laminate floor they sell at Lowe's which has a foam backing that eliminates the need for anything other than a vapor barrier beneath it. This covers a huge portion of the house and is all connected and everything is fine. The weight of myself and the chair is over 500 pounds.

The Pergo brand, back when it first came out, was about half as thick as it is now. I think they had to up the thickness when the American brands of laminate came out much thicker. Anyway, I had some installed back in 1994 and you could watch the floor move under the wheelchair as you rolled over. It's come a long way since then.

Other then cleaning there is no maintenance. And we have 2 playful dogs.

Electric chair & laminate in my condo for 7.5 years with no problems. NQ has a point with the professional installation. I had a friend do mine and the seams aren't as tight as they should be.

I spent a little extra for the first level of commercial grade. No scratches visible yet.

thanks all!
    I was worried since my chair causes waves in the carpet.
    I'll make surqe to get the top grade stuff.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

I echo about cleaning it - you have to be at it every day!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12