Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another wifi question.

Yet another wifi question.

I'm researching this situation but I'd like to see if anyone out here has any experience that might shed some light.
    My daughter is moving into an apartment in Boston with a roommate. We ordered high speed internet and basic cable service, I went and assured my wife that all we needed for the kids to connect with their laptops was a wifi router connected to the cable device. I think I jumped the gun on this, but I'm not sure.
    It looks like I might be able to connect the cable device directly to the router and when I power up the device it will use the router's MAC address as it's point of connection.
    Has anyone ever tried this?
    Is it possible to have an ip connection with the cable modem connected by ethernet only to the router and then using wifi from the laptops?

Not sure what you're saying, BUT.... You need a modem, to understand whats coming on the cable line, and a router to send this info to multiple computers.

Some cable modems are also wifi routers. Else you need a wifi router, connected to the modem.

Not sure what your last question is, but i think you want to not have a router, and direct connect 1 laptop to the modem, then use a second as well sharing the connection.

Yes you can.. but for 20 bucks buy a router and save yourself a buttload of headaches in setup issues!

here is a link

this works if your cable modems mac address is assign based on your pc's mac address.
    http://www.cs.umd.edu/~daveho/info/comcast.html

this will help if your cable modem has its own mac address

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...s/macaddr.html
    Last edited by mizzootiger; 08-14-2007 at 07:05 PM.

nmind
    Last edited by mattblan; 08-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Not sure what you're saying, BUT.... You need a modem, to understand whats coming on the cable line, and a router to send this info to multiple computers.

Some cable modems are also wifi routers. Else you need a wifi router, connected to the modem.

Not sure what your last question is, but i think you want to not have a router, and direct connect 1 laptop to the modem, then use a second as well sharing the connection.

Yes you can.. but for 20 bucks buy a router and save yourself a buttload of headaches in setup issues!
    Sorry - what I meant is that I want to have the router connected to the cable modem, but then have no pc wired to the router. I want them to be able to connect to the internet via the router via wifi.
    I just don't want to have a pc connected to the router with ethernet cable.
    I was under the assumption that that was necessary because the router needed the mac address from the wired pc.

I'm trying to determine if the mac address from the router itself will be enough for the connection to the cable modem.

I'm sure I'm as clear as mud at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    Sorry - what I meant is that I want to have the router connected to the cable modem, but then have no pc wired to the router. I want them to be able to connect to the internet via the router via wifi.
    I just don't want to have a pc connected to the router with ethernet cable.
    I was under the assumption that that was necessary because the router needed the mac address from the wired pc.

I'm trying to determine if the mac address from the router itself will be enough for the connection to the cable modem.

I'm sure I'm as clear as mud at this point!
    No ethernet needed

garvey

It will depend on whether your cable modem is assigned its own mac address or it is assigned based on a computers.

if it is based on your computers you could always connect the laptop with a cable and clone the mac address and turn on the wifi to your router then disconnect the cable if your laptop has a ethernet cable connection.

if the cable modem has its own mac address you should only need a router

Like above said,

Makes no difference as you should ALWAYS have the cable to hardwire to the router. Incase something breaks, an to do initial setup.. Then you can go full wireless.

All routers I've delt with have the ability to clone your computers MAC address. Then the modem only ever sees the registared MAC no matter what you connect to the router...

JUST REMEMBER TO SECURE THE ROUTER WITH WPA AND A ALPHA-NUMERIC PASSWORD!

yes i meant Caps! It's very important

Yes thanks, I thinkl I have it clear now.
    Now I understand the cloning process. The machine that will be used in the registration process that takes place when the cable guy installs the modem gets it's MAC Address set up on the ISP database and it's linked to the cable modems MAC Address on that database.
    When you then clone the registered machine's MAC Address to the router, the router "looks like" the registered machine as far as the ISP system is concerned. Then it doesn't matter if the registration machine is still wired in or not, the router is essentially independly connected to the cable modem and any device communicating with the router is basically coming through that same cloned MAC Address.

When they install the cable services up in Boston, one of the girls' laptops will have to used in the registration/provisioning process, then later on we can add the router.

While I was at the gym, I realized how confused my original questions were, thanks.

Wireless setup

If you have an always-on cable modem it can (and should) be plugged to your router - if you have an always-on connection plugged dirtectly to your computer you are unnecessarily exposing your computer to hack attacks. Routers are as cheap as thirty bucks and are the first line in stopping unwanted access to your computer.

Most routers require the computer that will set them up to be connected by ethernet for the initial set-up. After that your notebook should connect easily. Understand that wep security is easily bypassed with hacker software. USE WPA plus mac filters.

DO NOT TRUST MICROSOFT OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE TO PROTECT YOU FROM BAD PEOPLE. There are people who have robots out there looking for computers connected to the internet so that they may gain control of a portion or all of your computer and spread their evil. They are thieves who want to make illicit money, terrorists who want to stop our way of life, and nutcases who get their kicks by sneaking in the "back door".

A router should be secured, set to cast off pings and limited only to the mac addresses of the machines you trust to gain access to the internet through your IP Address.

Since she'll be in a college comunity it is important to also use the mac filter to allow only computers that she specifies to have access through her WiFi. College students have lots of time on their hands and love to steal other people's signals - they can do so in a day or two if you don't really secure your network.

When setting up your WiFi also change the name of the ssid and the address of the router (usually it is 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0 or something) if you simply change it then if someone wants to take control of your router they can't find it.

Unlocked WiFi is also the communication tool of choice for terrorists, pedofiles, and perverts of all kinds. If they can get access through your router, police will come to you when they want to aprehend the source of the smut.

Be smart and be safe.