Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids and the concept of "cathing"

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    That's good that they handled it so well. I have a superpubic and my son who will be 3 in October makes me giggle when I drain my bag because he will get next to me about three feet away and crouch down and watch. Then he'll look up at me while he's still crouching and say "Daddy, you go pee-pee?" Its truly hilarious and makes the issue alot more bareable.
    you are lucky guys ...my kittens play and jump all day long.i wish i can have a conversation with them .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

My kids are pretty familiar with it. One time we had to come home becasue I forgot my bag with the catheter in it. The kids were mad becasue we missed whatever activity. Now when we are leaving sometimes my daughter will say, "Did you bring a tube?" When I was first home from the hospital I had to explain to my poor son that catheters were not straws to blow bubbles in the bathtub with. I have on occasion had to pee in a bottle in the truck bc of no accessible restroom.

Another funny occasion. We were looking at a house not long ago. It could be made accessible for me but I told my daughter that my friend in a power chair could not fit through any door except the living room. She said, "Well they can just pee in the yard or a bottle." I guess they all learn eventually that it is no big deal.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

[quote=addiesue
    Another funny occasion. We were looking at a house not long ago. It could be made accessible for me but I told my daughter that my friend in a power chair could not fit through any door except the living room. She said, "Well they can just pee in the yard or a bottle." I guess they all learn eventually that it is no big deal.[/quote]

OMG!!!!!!!!, lol, kids are the only ones on the face of the planet that could get away with that. That is what makes them so cute. I am guessing you didn't get the house, lol.

Becky,
    Chicago, IL
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    My kids are pretty familiar with it. One time we had to come home becasue I forgot my bag with the catheter in it. The kids were mad becasue we missed whatever activity. Now when we are leaving sometimes my daughter will say, "Did you bring a tube?" When I was first home from the hospital I had to explain to my poor son that catheters were not straws to blow bubbles in the bathtub with. I have on occasion had to pee in a bottle in the truck bc of no accessible restroom.

Another funny occasion. We were looking at a house not long ago. It could be made accessible for me but I told my daughter that my friend in a power chair could not fit through any door except the living room. She said, "Well they can just pee in the yard or a bottle." I guess they all learn eventually that it is no big deal.
    I remember a time last year when my Mom kept bugging me on the phone, asking me over and over if I had my Paratransit ride set up, if I had enough catheters, if I had enough diapers, and if I had the girls' diaper bag packed. I got so annoyed of her talking about just this that I asked her "Hey Mom, how does it feel to be a half century old?" Let's just say, she shut up and changed the subject right away.
    My Mom had just turned 50 and had dealt with several relatives telling her old people jokes, so I knew that would get her to change the subject right away.

Yea, my oldest girl once told a security officer to leave me alone because I was going potty. The bathrooms were closed for cleaning, and I was right in the middle of an accident, so I just whipped out a catheter and cathed through my mitrofanoff stoma behind a nearby building. Lets just say, that got a good chuckle out of the security cop: "Being yelled at by a 3 year old". LOL!

Jessie

My son has allways known me as a SCI, so frankly he see nothing unusual about cathing. Because he's autisic, we have never really 'talked' about it, I think he thinks it's just like when he pees,LOL. I just thought if I didn't make a big deal out of it, neither would he. He has seen just about everything, and basically ignores it. As he got older, I of course didn't do everything in front of him, but because of being exposed it all, it does save on embarassment if he walks in during bathroom time. The boy never knocks. My little nieces (age 4) want to come in when anyone needs the bathroom, and find the whole thing funny. I have to hide my box of caths though, I caught one of them once putting one in the toilet (not in themselves,thank goodness) and trying to flush it. They also think they need gloves to go #2,LOL.
    Deborah

I think if the child's been brought up around it they won't think it's anything weird. I started cathing when I was around 9 I think so that would have made my brother around 2. He's been around hospital enviroments all his life because of my stuff or my dad's. LOL when my dad was in hospital imdediately following his stroke my brother was doing some range of motion stuff with my dad & one of the nurses walked in & started quizing him about what kind of healthcare job he had, when he kept replying in the negative she finally asked him what he did. She was rather shocked to find out he was a forest firefighter. I was sitting right beside the bed so I don't know why the nurse didn't put two & two together. I mean I've had joe public figure out I have Spina Bifida then again I did have one Physical Therapist ask me what year I had my SCI....

Kids ask the craziest things. I always make sure I answer them. I have 3 girls so I have to watch how I say things to tham. They are ok with how things are and don't feel bad about things, so I am lucky in that sence.
    Go Georgia Bulldogs