Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't eat

can't eat

Thanks to the ever-increasing abdominal pain, I've been unable to even eat my normal small amount. My stomach is more queasy on top of being more painful, and nausea meds don't help. I still have major trouble sleeping due to the pains, and lack of sleep only aggravates pain and my lousy mood. I'm sick of being homebound by pain, and the pains doing nothing but worsening. My arms become less and less usable as the upper back pain keeps intensifying and the shoulder blades pop and stick constantly. I want to be out of this misery! I hate being a C-5 who can't do anything, not even exercise.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I just pm'ed you here...i'm in your corner...

Take care!

Teena

Meanwhile the O's WON today~!
    1FineSpineRN

The only way I got myself through the pain was working out the areas that caused the pain. Me and you might have had different pain but my bones and joints used to twist and pop like a mother... I hope something works for you soon. I hated going to bed with pain in my upper body. Now it's just my lower in pain and with problems.

Smoke up!

Can you call a friend to check with a local pharmacist around the corner. I have been told it can help with nausea, appetite and glaucoma. Sending good thoughts your way. The only other place to get help with the appetite would be at the hospital, that I know of. I dont know the name of the drug but it is given for post op nausea.

since my injury i live in hell .....i try to find the heaven.sci ?quad and neuropain?be strong and laugh when ab complain about life and pain.
    I WAS AB AND I KNOW WHAT PAIN MEANS.good luck to healthy humans.
    others laugh ..........i cry..................torture............
    i force myself to eat and to stay alive...why?i dont know.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 08-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Alan,

It is painful to read of the difficulty and exhaustion you are facing. I have to wonder if there is not some hot shot back surgeon at NIH who has ideas that would help you, but not being able to travel cancels that. You live so close. Iti is not fair.

One of my old docs said you have to have pleasure in something to survive. The physical pleasure is ruled out, so no one really seems to have alternative things available, but I have found music and having kids around playing happily, the only way kids play, is something of a solace. I draw a little life from them.

I wonder if some sort of video cam could connect you to the NIH. Mitchell Max is terrifically compassionate there. Maybe just a letter to him, explaining your plight and asking if he could arrange for a video cam review by an orthopedic surgeon. Maybe the computer dept in your local town college would send someone over to hook it up.

It seems like if you could get the back pain under control, the rest would be a little easier. I am really puzzled by your gut pain. I saw a study where they studied gut pain in CP and they found that the main evoker of gut pain was distension by the material in the gut. As I recall, they also found that things that slow gut motility and/or the autonomic nervous system were most likely to help medication wise. There isn't much in the literature on gut CP. I have a little benefit if I sip a little, like an Atkins shake, and then sip a little more, and eat through the day instead of ever eating a meal, it is a little better. My bladder is more unpredictable. Generally it burns when there is urine there. Other times it just seems to burn when there is almost nothing.

You may have seen Wise's recent post here where he has a couple of great theories on why CP behaves as it does re: the autonomics. If you printed that out and got to some really good gastroenterologist, again at the NIH, I wonder if anything would come of it. The history of my posts to you is to find you have already tried it, so I apologize if this is more of that. At any rate, I admire you. There are so many in such terrible pain here. It really upsets me. I think if anyone could understand how you feel, it might be me, but I have no idea how you feel and I have got it bad, believe me. Sorry you suffer so.

nobody can understand how we feel ...beside my pain this .... makes me nuts ,ugly and always sad.i hate sci .kill me please.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

adi,

I have no business giving advice to anyone since I am barely making it myself. However, I have been reading lately about the mechanisms by which stress worsens central pain. Your situation sounds agonizing and bleak. I am sorry about this for you.

Because I have really intense pain in the muscles, I have found that when I am sitting quietly, my muscle tone REALLY goes into shutdown. My muscles don't just relax, they practically melt, trying to achieve total lack of tone. They have atrophied further as a result. MY CP confers the sensation that these msucles are tight as a rock, painfully tight, yet I can dissect out a sensation that tells me they are attempting to collapse completely. My muscles would like to go into a spastic paralysis and sometimes they display this in minor form; however, there is something in them also sttempting to achieve flaccidity, just as my mind is relieved when I don't have to be thinking stressful thoughts.

Oddly, because I know how badly NIH needs pain research money, I find it humorous to read about NASA. There was something about the pretense of sending a remedial reading teacher up into space and then talking about her "grand entry" into the ISS followed by a period of complete worthlessness as a scientist, even as NASA claims to be investigating how life began in the universe, that makes me laugh. Although a huge waste of money, the ISS is a parody on science that never fails to amuse me. This week I was asked to invest in a scheme to put a "space hotel" 400 miles up. The grandiose people pushing it say they will use NASA technology. That was enough to keep my puny savings out of the thing, right there. When you send remedial reading teachers up into space at two billion cost, the money is NOT coming back, and neither is any science. Guess what the main selling point was. They were supposedly also going to make medicines in space which "could not be made on earth". Needless to say there were no specifics and no drugs were mentioned "because they hadn't been made yet".

There used to be an old mine trail nearby which was so quiet that you could not hear the city. Turkey hawks live there and it felt like the primordial world. Developers closed the road so now I have nowhere to go. My room is now my primordial world, and it is not nearly the same.

Sometimes I think this may be a model for what our minds should do. Because stress causes adrenaline release in our bodies, I feel from the words you use that there may be factors other than the pain itself which are ruining your life, factors which cause stress. If everything were laid out and put in order so your attention was not required, it would be easier to deal with pain.

I wonder if an explanation of this to those around you, hopefully family or friends, and a request for them to "take over" and not require you to do so many mental tasks, would make the pain easier to bear.

Just a thought from someone who has had to live a long time with severe CP. Life is tremendously difficult to the point of being unable to have life force. However, I am so grateful for those moments that infuse a bit of joy into it. These generally come from simply sitting amongst those who are okay, such as children playing. You have to outsmart the crushing depression of central pain, and you will never be dealt a winning hand, but at least you are still in the game.

If God exists, he will compensate for the struggle. If God does not exist and we are merely random collections of molecules, then it doesnt' matter anyway. However, i cannot stare in the void without fear. I must go on. At the same time as pain makes me wonder how God operates, brave behavior seems to have virtue in it, and maybe this counts for something. Maybe it counts for a lot.

Best wishes to you and greetings to you over there in Romania.
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-14-2007 at 02:47 PM.

thank you dejerine ...is hard to deal with neuropain ,abs who asks ...why do you scream when we touch you,transfers,etc.being paralysed you dont supose to feel anything ,NO PAIN.[the docs from usa,romania told them],i might need a psychiatrist from their point of view.if i ask for pain medication ...the meds like lyrica,neurontin,etc.are not availble here in romania.valium doesnt works anymore after 5 years of usage .god forgive them...they dont have any ideea what sci and pain means.i must drink 8-10 beers daily to get drunk [alcholic anaesthesia].a beer costs less than proper meds.5 years of torture and stupidity .
    • Dum spiro, spero.