Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: a cure ?when and by who?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Assisted waking isn't a cure and I'd argue almost anyone doing the intensive gait training would improve. By bladder and bowel, you mean the ability to self-manage your own bladder and bowel program, not that you won't need to cath or use digital stimulation to relieve yourself.
    Dr. Young stated in one of his video presentations that 55% no longer needed to use a catheter. Not self-manage, but no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    I have not logged onto this site in years. It is ironic I find this old cure thread still active. I find it sad that anyone could think a cure is possible once you study the CNS. Taking care of yourself is the best we'll ever have.

Yep. In a couple weeks I will have officially missed all of my 40s. Not big on celebrating birthdays but it's a little more difficult to look at my woodworking tools this year. We have watched a few heroes come and go; Dr. Lima, Dr. Kessler, Dr. Keirstead, Dr. Davies, to name a few. More than likely 5 or so years from now we will add Dr. Dietrich and Dr. Silver to the list. They come enthusiastic believing they have the answer, new threads get created by members that don't want to wait for trials and are upset that they can't just pay to have the procedure or volunteer to be the one and only guinea pig. Then there's silence, completely quiet, until the next Dr. comes along and the cycle begins again. No ones fault, we are a desperate group, they want desperately to help us; but, it is one of the human body's last best kept secrets .. . . . probably will be for a long time (or at least 5 more years :-) )
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

53 yrs old on a scooter, lots of etc, due to 22 yrs of progressive MS. Some combo of regeneration, remylination, smooth efficient robotics will easily be here within ten, hopefully five yrs. I've never thought so before. You're holding in your hand as much computing power as filled a warehouse in the fairly recent past. Stuffs gonna fall like dominoes. Friggin trump, tho, I'd be mighty pissed to have to get in line behind the Chinese, but I really do think it's finally possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Dr. Young stated in one of his video presentations that 55% no longer needed to use a catheter. Not self-manage, but no longer needed.
    What does that mean in practical terms though. You don't need to use a catheter, but how do you get it into the toilet from your chair?
    So you need to use a catheter or you make a mess.

It would be good if there were details about what these statements about bladder, bowel recovery actually mean in real terms.
    Do you have sensation to know when you have to go?
    Can you control going?
    Can you hold on when you need to go so you can get to the bathroom?

All of these studies talk in general terms, but we want to know the practical details to see if it would make a difference to our lives.

Man you guys seriously need to stop being so negative! Lot's of research being done at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    What does that mean in practical terms though. You don't need to use a catheter, but how do you get it into the toilet from your chair?
    So you need to use a catheter or you make a mess.

It would be good if there were details about what these statements about bladder, bowel recovery actually mean in real terms.
    Do you have sensation to know when you have to go?
    Can you control going?
    Can you hold on when you need to go so you can get to the bathroom?

All of these studies talk in general terms, but we want to know the practical details to see if it would make a difference to our lives.
    This has also been my concern
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Nicksdad, your post was thoroughly refreshing, and spoken as one who is not shackled by fear of saying it out loud. It's the elephant in the room.

Niallel, YEP!,...'how do you get the pee into the toilet from your chair without cathing' even if you could hold off on peeing? And (bingo!) when medical authorities (doctors, therapists, nurses) gloss over the practical details of proceedures, that really doesn't help us.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Sensation seems parallel to the "cure"...as in both need regeneration and proper reconnection to become a reality. Would also seem to cure so many, if not all, CNS diseases. I hope we're closer than it seems

This is the kind of thing I think will come first: http://time.com/4715028/paralysis-brain-arm/
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

T3 complete since Sept 2015.