Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: a cure ?when and by who?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    I can't sit here and wait for the cure the next 10 years and forget about everything else. I can't live like that, I need to have a life now too. I need a job, I need to get out of the house, I have to take care of the children and to be able to go the same places that my friends. You know I am not the one just sitting here, waiting for things to happen. I have been writing my share of letters, mail, talking in the phone and trying to fix things.

And I am not a country girl, I like to live in the "big city"(Oslo has a population of 550 000, but it is still our capital city)

I welcome a cure but I can't live my life only for that reason.
    If you don’t do anything you (people) will sit there and wait for 20 years (kidding), you do fine. But I don’t see how working a lill for future treatments for peoples has anything to do with living at the moment… The problem though, when living in some parts of some cities the building mass might not be up to date, so there’s a lot of good work to be done to have that elephant turned as well - or demolished I should say

As for you not being a country girl? What to you think? You think that Oslo is the world #1 metropolis? lol. Why is our national film festival in my city and not in your big metropolis?
    Last edited by Leif; 08-17-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen M
    However, that really won't be a problem until we have $2 billion and that is a problem that I would very much enjoy having. : ]
    QFT “Quoted For Truth”.

One thought though WFE (Bente); say if a bunch of cures soon pops up - how will that interfere with people having jobs in some big organisations working solely for universal design and disability anti-discrimination laws? Will they risk to get sacked and lose their jobs if a bunch of cures pops up due to UD will not be that actual? Could that be a reason that some of those don’t want to work for cures?

Like some peoples in some Big Pharma companies I mean, more interested in producing pills serving the Status Quo?

Hi Beth, no problem. Yes, please post questions in the original thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen M
    What is happening at USP that makes you so confident in them? I am not current at all on what is being done there.
    I believe that your point is correct - big money. The more money, the faster the cures. I would rather see 2 billion distributed to various scientists, collaborating, for a faster cure, as opposed to just one institution working on one or two ideas. However, that really won't be a problem until we have $2 billion and that is a problem that I would very much enjoy having. : ]
    In USP there is not only a cientist, there is several, it is a group and I know the place and the people's competence personally. They want a lot of to work, but the one that this lacking is only money, with relationship to the rest has everything, only lack of the blessed money. The problem is that is a lot of necessary money and a lot of companies has the same. The one that I don't understand is because they don't collaborate, that is that riots me.

Thank you for the comments and for the attention
    Rebechi_Brasil

Rebechi,

What about the bone marrow SCI stem cell work of Dr. Barros? He was doing a trial on 30-60 people and claiming a possible cure in about 5 years (that was 2 years ago).

Schmeky

They are 30 patient. It was in 2002 and they said that perhaps would have it gets better after seven years. Of these 30 patients, 12 of them had some it gets better, but the other ones still wait for some thing to happen. It was the researchers' of USP first attempt. The reasons that took and they take until today to the delay of the researches here in Brazil are the same ones that it USA us, a lot of entities are against the use of embryonic cells, this put back a lot, practically it stopped the researches. Now with new sources of stem cells we hoped the researches move forward without problems

Ever since, other researches come tends good results in other areas:

New applications for Stem Cells's use:
    http://www.cordvida.com.br/site/central/noticias.asp

Greet all
    Rebechi_Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    One thought though WFE (Bente); say if a bunch of cures soon pops up - how will that interfere with people having jobs in some big organisations working solely for universal design and disability anti-discrimination laws? Will they risk to get sacked and lose their jobs if a bunch of cures pops up due to UD will not be that actual? Could that be a reason that some of those don’t want to work for cures?

Who cares for universal design here? 20 people? Even the new opera house who is not finished yet doesn't have universal design. too ugly to make it accessble. I don't mind because I don't have plans to go there anyway. And even if the cure comes, it will always be people in wheel chairs with other injuries so I don't think anybody is loosing their jobs.

And I can't hunger to death in the meantime, I need to go shopping and I would really like to go shopping alone without any steps and I would like to go to the school to talk with the teacher of my son without any problems. And I would like to take the bus and the train like everybody else.

And I can continue to send mails about stem cells to the importent people
    TH 12, 43 years post

Guess you will be out on the streets protesting the 1st of September then ? It’s the NHFs national action date to map out public buildings as for accessibility. You can do the new opera building :-)