Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: a cure ?when and by who?

Cure
    Pronunciation: 'kyur
    Function: noun
    1 a : spiritual charge : CARE b : pastoral charge of a parish
    2 a : recovery or relief from a disease b : something (as a drug or treatment) that cures a disease c : a course or period of treatment <take the cure for alcoholism> d : SPA 1
    3 : a complete or permanent solution or remedy

Adi,

It is unlikely SCI will ever see definition number 3. Can you work or go back to school? Knew a C-6 quad that had his Masters Degree and was working on his Doctorate. Have a friend that lives near by that is a C-4 and has a 4 year college degree and works from his home. Another C-6 down the road works 5 days a week for 4-5 hours a day.

Staying busy is the best "cure".

like 3 months after i was hurt , there was alot of si-fi in the news. the lady walking in Korea after 19 years. alot on getting rats walking. i had alot of hope that maybe i was hurt when things were going to be happening. here i am 3 years later , notta.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    a cure for sci ?when and by who?yours opinions please.
    Forget it. The cure comes when it comes. It is more important to fight for accessibily and jobs so we can live a normale life. The wheel chair is not the problem, the isolation that follows is the big problem. HC-toilets, lifts, jobs and education are worth fighting for. Accessiblility to schools, to kindergarden, offices, pubs and restaurants, that is important.
    We have to live while we are waiting, it is wrong that the Government expect us to sit in the house everyday, doing nothing and being lonely. We are still human beings like the ABs.
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 08-11-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Cures and new therapies will be based on the ratio of funding. Time = money.
    Just my opinion.
    Karen M
    C 3/4 inc. central cord
    10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    Forget it. The cure comes when it comes. It is more important to fight for accessibily and jobs so we can live a normale life. The wheel chair is not the problem, the isolation that follows is the big problem. HC-toilets, lifts, jobs and education are worth fighting for. Accessiblility to schools, to kindergarden, offices, pubs and restaurants, that is important.
    We have to live while we are waiting, it is wrong that the Government expect us to sit in the house everyday, doing nothing and being lonely. We are still human beings like the ABs.
    Hi,
    I don't agree, we have to formulate a demand for a cure. If we don't, we wil not have, money will go for other conditions. Sorry but I believe that acting and thinking as you are is slowing down the process. The problem is that a lot of people are thinking as you and a lot of others are despaired so we have no demand. Look at aids research, or myelin project, those conditions have a dynamic follow-up and very fast progresses compared to spinal cord injury research. Besides, aging with sci will show you that you become more and more disabled years after years and that you loose your independance. So please don't talk about living a normal life, think about your future and the future of the next generation. If our children can live without spinal cord injuries, this will be great so let's speed up the process..
    Best wishes.
    G78

First - Find a cure!

I agree with George78!

Woman From Europe, I desagree with what you say, but you are very beautiful!
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 08-12-2007 at 06:51 AM.

The wheelchair isn't the problem, nor is the isolation. It's the inability to walk, feel and be free from a prison.

HC-toilets, lifts, jobs and education are worth fighting for. Accessiblility to schools, to kindergarden, offices, pubs and restaurants, that is important.
    This is all true, but we can have both. Advocating for care and cure are not mutually exclusive. They are uniquely tied to each other. The more cure there is, the less care is required. A full cure is the ultimate care.

Quote Originally Posted by redbandit
    This is all true, but we can have both. Advocating for care and cure are not mutually exclusive. They are uniquely tied to each other. The more cure there is, the less care is required. A full cure is the ultimate care.
    I agree, but you americans are so spoiled with the accessibility and jobs It is difficult to live here, I want to live before the cure too. I know a lot of people who are inside their houses because it is difficult to go out and because nobody wants to employ people with disabilities.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I agree, but you americans are so spoiled with the accessibility and jobs
    Well, come to America! Your health care is probably better there though.