Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: a cure ?when and by who?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Can anyone define CURE? When you think CURE, what is your expectation?
    The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest profit making sector after energy (oil). It promotes use of chemicals to solve dis-ease issues and proliferate that paradiagm. We injured people are a 'given' customer.

I believe a solution will come from non-intrusive energy directed medicine (laser, electromagnetic, radionics). eg:The Hutchinson effect can dissolve/bend metal. Wow! What a serious weapon that could be to destroy towers. The same technology could do the same to the Glial scar, then with myelin regeneration (stem cells, biotin, gonadtropin) and growth factors applied to proliferate axons regrowth and reconnection to get use back to pre-injury state.

Gary Wade makes mention of such ideas here.
    Last edited by Pauly1; 03-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Dr. Becker's Electro-stim proposal - did anyone ever test this on animal model?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    No doubt the original poster of this thread was told the cure will happen in 5 years. Isn't that we've all been told???? I am 35 years post injury and....yeh every 5 years, you'd get that pablum spouted by someone.

Maybe modern medicine is closer to a cure... but what the heck does cure mean? When you think CURE, do you think with some incredible medical intervention, you will just get up out of you wheelchair and walk and function again, just like you did before you were injured. Not going to happen. Personally, I think that kind of cure is long beyond any one of us who are living today with a spinal cord injury. CURE means, when someone sustains a major incident that injures the spinal cord, in the future, there will be a medical intervention that will prevent major paralysis on the spot. Otherwise, any of us living with a previously sustained spinal cord injury are screwed.

Can anyone define CURE? When you think CURE, what is your expectation?
    I'd wager a widely-accepted protocol for acute injuries will be available in ten years and will mitigate, not cure, such injuries. As far as chronics I'd say man-machine interface "fixes" will come long before any cord-regeneration technology. By that I mean exoskeletons that are nimble enough to wear in a car, walk without canes and with some sort of brain interface. Just trying to be realistic but optimistic I'm way off and something pans out sooner.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Adi was a proud misogynist from Romania. He gave me such a difficult time when I moderated. So annoying!!! Wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy though.

He was injured in the States and promptly shipped back home to Romania to a situation he had little control over. He had bladder infection after bladder infection that got worse and worse. He developed more than one wound that went down to the bone on his buttocks and hip. A few of us used to keep in touch on FB with him but no one has heard from him in at least six years.

His mother and sister looked after him, but I saw pictures of those wounds. There was no way he survived. Plus, he was fighting to keep his house.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have not logged onto this site in years. It is ironic I find this old cure thread still active. I find it sad that anyone could think a cure is possible once you study the CNS. Taking care of yourself is the best we'll ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    I have not logged onto this site in years. It is ironic I find this old cure thread still active. I find it sad that anyone could think a cure is possible once you study the CNS. Taking care of yourself is the best we'll ever have.
    Yeah haven't seen you in quite some time ...so is that to say that you're not planning to take advantage of Scinetusa when the time comes or e-stim ? Your thoughts ?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    The newly injured and younger ones still have hope.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This thread and other similar old threads are scary and depressing, to see what the injured people were thinking about the cure/treatment... Ten years later and no major difference... I'd say the majority were hoping that by 2017 there wouldn't only be a treatment, but a proper regeneration therapy. Will ten years from now be the same? :/
    At least the stims have made a big progress and hopefully they'll be available in not too many years from now )

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    This thread and other similar old threads are scary and depressing, to see what the injured people were thinking about the cure/treatment... Ten years later and no major difference... I'd say the majority were hoping that by 2017 there wouldn't only be a treatment, but a proper regeneration therapy. Will ten years from now be the same? :/
    At least the stims have made a big progress and hopefully they'll be available in not too many years from now )

Wise's therapy returned walking, bowel, and bladder to chronic completes, no major difference?

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search...ize=10&index=7

Assisted waking isn't a cure and I'd argue almost anyone doing the intensive gait training would improve. By bladder and bowel, you mean the ability to self-manage your own bladder and bowel program, not that you won't need to cath or use digital stimulation to relieve yourself.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015