Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: a cure ?when and by who?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    I've seen your reply as well to Andrew's comment on the post of Hashem Al-Ghaili Facebook page. He's in some way advertising that clinic in Thailand were he got that stimulator....
    Sad, cause desperate people are buying his BS

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The group has started their beginning clinical trials.

https://spinalcordresearchandadvocac...trial-for-sci/
    Grammy,
    Do you know any specific about this treatment?
    What kind of "ElectroCHEMICAL stimulation" has been used and what means
    that is "applied over lumbar segments" to enable cortical drive to regain control of voluntary movements.
    By my understanding their intention was to activate neuroplasticity in remaining connected tissue in spinal cord
    using ElectroCHEMICAL stimulation in lumber section (?) and with gait walking training but it's hard
    to figure out exactly how, just according to abstract.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Grammy,
    Do you know any specific about this treatment?
    What kind of "ElectroCHEMICAL stimulation" has been used and what means
    that is "applied over lumbar segments" to enable cortical drive to regain control of voluntary movements.
    By my understanding their intention was to activate neuroplasticity in remaining connected tissue in spinal cord
    using ElectroCHEMICAL stimulation in lumber section (?) and with gait walking training but it's hard
    to figure out exactly how, just according to abstract.
    For now, the very beginning trial for this group is: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02936453

I don't think anyone knows for sure what they'll decide to add in the future. They have several options to try as do other groups.

E-Dura links.

https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/221479/files/natrevmats201663.pdf?version=1

I believe they're working a bit with Buspar since it's already FDA approved. They have worked with a cocktail of medications discussed in previous video's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I guess my Ambien-induced point was that maybe there should be a new category for this forum; "Fantasy Cures" where fake-news on cures should be discussed?
    Incidental to this thread, I've never seen anyone claim stimulation as "a cure". In fact, investigators have gone out of their way to explain the research should not be viewed in that context at all.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-09-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    Haha yes yelling "holy shit" several times. She said she stayed in her office during patient #2 first time testing the with the epidural stimulator because she didn't think he would have any movement or results.
    She's described her first startle reaction on her very first patient in all of her presentations for years... I guess some people hadn't heard it before.

I've visited Minneapolis over the weekend and spoke with Dr Darrow. They are approved for 100 patients and want to include wide variety of patients. Initial visit consists of emg, ASIA test and tilt table test (bp).

I was surprised to learn that implantation of the stimulation is 50 min in outpatient clinic. Once that is set you go home, they give you socks with accelerato-meters to collect data into the app they built.

He said a lot of people are calling with stimulators already implanted (!) but with no settings how to use them. Madness...
    They will be tracking bb&s but that's only notes from patients, not actually measured or tested.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    He said a lot of people are calling with stimulators already implanted (!) but with no settings how to use them. Madness...
    Other's working in the field are finding the same thing over the past few years. That's what happens when they're implanted overseas in Thailand and folks are sent home. Yes...it is madness. They only want the $$

Same shit since i haven't been on here in 4 yrs.... Know omes healed or "cured" yet. Huh.......mmmmmm. False hope. They make more $ on us being in chairs then not. TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Ajstevens View Post
    Same shit since i haven't been on here in 4 yrs.... Know omes healed or "cured" yet. Huh.......mmmmmm. False hope. They make more $ on us being in chairs then not. TRUE
    The head transplant neurosurgeon (maverick) makes a point of how slow progress has been. If his planned Dec-2017 head transplant involving severing and regrowing axons is successful then it has huge consequences for SCI.. From here

How to transplant a head

Sergio Canavero first proposed attempting a human head transplant in 2013. He wants to use the surgery to extend the lives of people whose muscles and nerves have degenerated or whose organs are riddled with cancer. But there are many hurdles, such as fusing the spinal cord (see main story) and preventing the body’s immune system from rejecting the head.

The procedure will involve cooling both the head and the body it is to be moved to, to extend the time their cells can survive without oxygen. The tissue around the neck would then be dissected and the major blood vessels linked using tiny tubes, before the spinal cords of each person are cut.

The head would then be moved onto the donor body, and the ends of their spinal cords fused together using PEG. Next, the muscles and blood supply would be sutured. The recipient would be kept in a coma for three or four weeks to prevent movement. Implanted electrodes would be used to provide regular electrical stimulation to the spinal cord, because research suggests this can strengthen new nerve connections.

Canavero still thinks it could be possible to perform the first human head transplant by the end of 2017, depending upon finding a suitable donor. Several people have said they would like to volunteer to have their heads attached to a different body, while a hospital in Vietnam is reportedly keen to host the first surgery.

I hope he transplants his own head first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I guess my Ambien-induced point was that maybe there should be a new category for this forum; "Fantasy Cures" where fake-news on cures should be discussed?
    I think the Trump'ism "Fake Cures" is apt...