Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crab Rangoon

I used to do prep work in the kitchen at P.F. Changs. I dont remember the recipe but I do remember freezing them, keeps the goodies inside. They were cooked in the wok which keeps the greasiness to a minimum, but would be hell of alot harder to manage nowadays.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

That recipe was wonderful. I used only fresh crab meat. It was expensive but well worth it. Everyone loved them. I didn't use a wok, I used a deep fryer. They were a little greasy so next time I will try it with a wok. I never thought of that...what a great idea..thanks WHeeLs. Anyway, thanks everyone for the ideas. It worked out great. I definatley recommend this recipe and will make it again.

MA or MD, that is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by jon 0
    don't screw around, use MD blue crabs.
    I was raised in Massachusetts, and I don't remember New England being noted for its crab... lobster on the other hand is another matter. I'd have to vote with Jon O on the MD blue crab, though I imagine any good crab (fresh, like dungeness) would do and would simply be a matter of taste. Of course, getting fresh crab in Wisconsin might be difficult, don't ya know...

Deep frying in a wok, would be preferable and less greasy simply because woks fry at a much higher temperature, if your stove can be adjusted to do that (gas not electric). I've done wok cooking on both gas and electric and have never been able to get the heat high enough to do Asian cooking justice. But, it is fun and the results are acceptable. Safety would be a real concern for wok cooking, but as someone said, well worth the risk. Just be aware and careful.
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

We eat some kind of crab dish about once a week.I'll have to try that.Sounds good.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

My cousin has got a farm house near a riverside and twice a year we go there to have fresh river crabs. They taste really fantastic when its cooked in with some spices and vegetables which is made into a gravy and is to be had with rice. It's a little spicy but its just great. Believe me it the best of all crab recipies I have ever had.

We also have them roasted on open fire. Its the easiest way to have them.....just gotta roast it, crack it up and there you go.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dedicated Hosting

Fresh water crab...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark07
    fresh river crabs. They taste really fantastic when its cooked in with some spices...
    Now that sounds really interesting. I didn't realize there were fresh water crabs! How big are they? My mouth is watering with anticipation. Is there any place in the U.S. where they have fresh water crabs?
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

Quote Originally Posted by Bartski
    Now that sounds really interesting. I didn't realize there were fresh water crabs! How big are they? My mouth is watering with anticipation. Is there any place in the U.S. where they have fresh water crabs?
    Yeah there are fresh water crabs and if you are lucky you may get the big ones also and believe me some are really good in size. One FW crab in freshly cooked gravy with rice can suffice an adult and if you want to roast it then probably you'll need two or more which depends on the appetite.
    The basic difference between FW crabs and sea crabs is that they are a little sweet and salty respectively and I’ll go for the FW type anytime.

As for FW crabs in U.S I’m afraid I have no clue of where you can get them but I’m sure you can if you do some research on that.
    You may also want to visit this link and check how helpful it can be for you. Hope you get your hands on some FW crabs soon.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dedicated Hosting