Thread: Drainage Bag Cleaning

Question Drainage Bag Cleaning

Hello Everyone
    I would like to find out if anyone has an idea of what solution or product may be used to clean the inside of the tubing on urinary drainage bags? Mine gets cloudy after about 3 days and I change it after a week.
    I use a foley catheter 24/7 for about 4-5 weeks, then I remove it for a weekend to give my bladder a break. By this time I have lime deposit build up on the catheter and causes a lot of discomfort. I drink plenty of fluids and flush the catheter every other day, yet the inside of the tubing will not come clean. I have tried bleach, vinegar and soap yet the film remains inside of the tubing. I have used the foley catheter about 2 years now and never had any infection, but would like to get more use from the drainage bags.
    I have had incontinence for about 12 years and tried everything I could find including absorbant products, external catheters and so on and the only thing that works for me due to the work I do is foley catheters.
    If anyone knows of something that works well for cleaning bags, please post or e-mail me.

Thanks
    js

I hear you describing two different problems.

Once is how to clean your drainage bags, and the other is how to manage encrustations on the inside of the catheter itself. These are managed differently.

This technique is based on several research studies and is widely recognized as the best for daily sanitizing of urinary bags:
    Drain the urine.
    Fill bag 1/2 full with tap water. Slosh vigorously for 10 seconds.
    Drain the water.
    Repeat with water.
    Fill the bag 1/2 full with a 10% solution of household bleach. Slosh vigorously for 30 seconds.
    Drain into the toilet.
    Leave drainage valve open.
    Wrap bag in a clean dry towel and store until next needed.
    Replace bags monthly.

I hope you are not reusing your foley catheter. They are not designed for cleaning and reuse, and there is no way to do this safely. Regular irrigation is not a good idea, and only increases your risks for UTI. If you have a problem with encrustation which requires you to change your catheter more often than every 4-6 weeks, the you may want to discuss daily Renacidin INSTILLATIONS (not irrigation) with your urologist. This would require a prescription.

There is no indication that "giving your bladder a break" from a foley for a few days periodically has any benefit. What do you do for bladder management during that time??

(KLD)

SCI Nurse
    My question about cleaning bags was, is there anyway to clean the tubing that attaches to the catheter from the bag on the inside? The bag seems to come clean, but inside the tubing after a couple of days has a cloudy film inside and only gets worse after each use. I would take it the answer is no, since I am basically cleaning the bags the way you decribed.
    As far a reusing the foley catheter, I would never do that. I have seen one catheter that was claimed to be reusable, but I would not take the chance. Besides that, when the catheter is pulled, it is discolered at the ballon area and sometimes has encrustation on it.
    Irrigating the catheter seemed to help reduce the encrustions on the catheter, however maybe I better reduce or stop irrigating considering the complications that can cause.
    I had a couple of incidents a while back that after just a few days, I was having severe spasms and within a couple more days noticed what I would call lime deposits coming from the uretha and also noticed it in the underwear. I work outside in the heat, maybe I just thought I had drank plenty of fluids. In florida our summer weather can be brutal but it seemed that when I irrigated the cath and bladder it helped a lot.
    When I pull the catheter I thought that it might be a good idea to leave it out a couple days and let any encrustration particals flush through without the catheter trapping them.
    While I have the catheter out I use absorbant briefs with booster pads. Depending on the fluid intake, I will have to change from 1.5-3 hrs. I have had more than one problem where they leaked and they are not the easiest things to change when out and about. I have caught myself limiting the fluids when using these things as well to help avoid an embrassing moment. I tried external caths of all kinds and found they come loose easy and made sure the size was not the issue as well.
    Thanks so much for your time and response.
    bis
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I hear you describing two different problems.

Once is how to clean your drainage bags, and the other is how to manage encrustations on the inside of the catheter itself. These are managed differently.

This technique is based on several research studies and is widely recognized as the best for daily sanitizing of urinary bags:
    Drain the urine.
    Fill bag 1/2 full with tap water. Slosh vigorously for 10 seconds.
    Drain the water.
    Repeat with water.
    Fill the bag 1/2 full with a 10% solution of household bleach. Slosh vigorously for 30 seconds.
    Drain into the toilet.
    Leave drainage valve open.
    Wrap bag in a clean dry towel and store until next needed.
    Replace bags monthly.

I hope you are not reusing your foley catheter. They are not designed for cleaning and reuse, and there is no way to do this safely. Regular irrigation is not a good idea, and only increases your risks for UTI. If you have a problem with encrustation which requires you to change your catheter more often than every 4-6 weeks, the you may want to discuss daily Renacidin INSTILLATIONS (not irrigation) with your urologist. This would require a prescription.

There is no indication that "giving your bladder a break" from a foley for a few days periodically has any benefit. What do you do for bladder management during that time??

(KLD)

Using reflex voiding like this between indwelling catheter insertions could potentially be actually more damaging to your kidneys that keeping the catheter in place. It is likely you are voiding with high pressures during that time, esp. since having a recent indwelling catheter in place makes your bladder more irritable. You really should discuss this practice with your urologist and consider either using some techique other than reflex voiding when your catheter is out, or just leaving an indwelling catheter in all the time.

(KLD)

Drainage Bag Cleaning Thanks

Thanks SCI Nurse(KLD)
    I tried the procedure you told me about concerning cleaning bags and it seems to work well.
    Thanks for your help and being here.
    Jerry

When I clean the tubing to the bag I take a short section of extension tubing and attatch it to the connecter of the bag and then take a 50cc bulb type irragation syringe with the bulb full of bleach. I attatch the end of the syringe to the ohter end of the extension tubing.

With the bag positioned so that the tubing is in a loop in the sink I squeeze the bulb so that some of the bleach runs into the tubing. Just into the tubing not all the way into the bag. Then when I let go of the bulb the bleach heads back up into the syringe. I do this with the bleach going back and forth through the tubing until the crud comes off the tubing. Then I flush the bleach into the bag and rinse really well. Best technique I have found for rinsing the tubing is just to hold the connector under running water and let the water run through into the bag and empty the bag a few times until well rinsed.