Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Walk 2007

Spinal Cord Injury Walk 2007

The Northwest Indiana Spinal Cord Injury Group is organizing a fundraising walk/roll. Valparaiso, Indiana will also be declairing September Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month.

Spinal Cord Injury Walk 2007

At the Old Fairgrounds Park/Butterfield Pavilion
    704 McCord Rd, Valparaiso, Indiana
    September 29, 2007, Noon-5pm

• Noon- turn in pledge envelopes/hand out shirts
    • 1pm- 5k/3.1 mile fitness walk (that's only 4 times around the track)
    • 3pm- Information, food, music and a silent auction
    *Proceeds are to benefit Unite 2 Fight Paralysis, paralysis research, and the Northwest Indiana Spinal Cord Injury Group.

The Northwest Indiana Spinal Cord Injury Group: Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those with spinal cord injuries living in Northwest Indiana, through education, advocacy, peer support, and recreational outings. www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

A few spinal cord injury facts…
    • Every 41 minutes, another American sustains a spinal cord injury resulting in paralysis. This translates to an estimated 11,000 new injuries annually.
    • The average age at injury is 38, with 56% of all injuries occurring between the ages of 16 and 35. Young adults reaching the peak of their earnings potential.
    • In addition to paralysis, secondary conditions resulting from a spinal cord injury include compromised respiratory, bowel, bladder and sexual function as well as chronic urinary tract infections and pressure sores.
    • The estimated annual direct costs of care for Americans living with paralysis due to spinal cord injury are $15 billion. One of the costliest conditions in our country.
    • Spinal cord injury knows no boundaries. In a split second it could happen to you, a family member, friend, or neighbor.

Sources: (1) Spinal Cord Injury Information Center, www.spinalcord.uab.edu (2) Care Cure; www.sciwire.com

For more information email nwiscig@gmail.com or call 219-531-0055

how GREAT JPLW. Hope you are having a great summer and the event goes well!

mechanical bull, eh

did not know that, and teaching.....rock on jOE

In an instant, a life transformed
    Monday, August 27, 2007 12:23 AM CDT

Post a Comment | Email this story | Print this story

BY JOYCE RUSSELL
    joycer@nwitimes.com
    219.762.1397, ext. 2222

VALPARAISO | If Joe White hadn't decided to take a ride on a mechanical bull one warm July night four years ago, his life would be much different than it is today.

"I had a plan. I was going to get my house finished and keep working with my dad and my brother," he said.

But on July 25, 2003, White, now 32, did jump on the mechanical bull at the Porter County Fair. Seconds into the ride, White was thrown off and his life changed forever.

The fall crushed two cervical vertebrae in his neck, paralyzing him from the chest down.

"When I woke up in the hospital, the doctor said I had a 3 percent chance of walking again. I said that's better than 0 percent," White recalled.

It might have been that spirit that drove White to march on Washington three times on behalf of others with spinal cord injuries, form a local group to assist those with such injuries, sponsor a Walk for Those Who Can't next month and this week, go back to school to become a secondary science teacher.

"Before (the accident) I would do things to help out my friends and family, but mainly I cared about things that affected my life," White said.

But the accident changed that.

"I gained empathy. I see a lot of people in the position I was in that I want to help," he said. "I see something that needs to be done and I figure who else is going to do it."

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/08...43007fb1a6.txt
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Walk Pictures

Here are the pictures from the Spinal Cord Injury Walk 2007 / Northwest Indiana. It was a good time, we raised a lot of awareness and a lot of money. If anyone is interested in learning how to do something similar in their area,pleasre email me at nwiscig@gmail.com.

For more pictures go to http://picasaweb.google.com/nwiscig/...uryWalk9292007
    Last edited by jplw; 12-07-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Way to go man! Impressive event!