Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pressure sore

Thanx, I will have to look into it.
    Is there such a thing as getting too much protein?

yes but it wont happen. rule of thumb for serious athletes is 1 gram per pound of body weight

dpsnutrition.com is where i buy all my supps
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    Thanx, I will have to look into it.
    Is there such a thing as getting too much protein?
    ABSOLUTELY. But you won't hear much about it in the popular circles of western diet. Too much protein causes calcium loss and absorbtion problems. Why do you think you see so much osteoporosis/ bone problems in western peoples?
    Weightlifters scream protein! I knowa man who trained Arnold Swarz' years ago. He became a veegan later in life. He lifts more and is healthier now. He is STILL lifting and has an exercise show broadcast around the world on 3ABN.
    Folks will scream protein until they die. Eat healthy. The main difference in whey vs soy protein is the whey is absorbed faster, which is useful after a heavy workout.
    There are two camps in the world, those that think you have to eat animals to live and those who don't. Ask a gorilla where he gets HIS muscle from.

Also, animal protein (esp. meat) is hard on your kidneys if you have any kidney impairment at all. Plant sources of protein (soy, beans, etc.) are easier on your kidneys, and milk and milk byproducts (whey for example) are easier too. If you have any kidney function impairment, don't load up on protein without talking with your physician and a dietitian.

(KLD)

I just read an article on protein intake. It's based on whey protein.

PROTEIN HOW MUCH ?

Athletes know that complete proteins are critical for a competitive edge. Good proteins are key to healthy, strong, toned muscle; rapid muscle recovery; increased stamina and energy; reduced body fat; cardiovascular health; and immune system strength. Elite athletes want to know how much protein is optimal, and if there are down sides to a too high protein diet.

Daily protein Intake?
    Recommended daily protein intake comes from simple calculations: multiply your body weight by the appropriate exercise factor. Sedentary people use .36 grams x body weight; moderate exercisers use .5; endurance athletes use .5 -.8; strength athletes use .6 -.8; growing teenage athletes use .6 -.9 times body weight. It's widely agreed that how hard you work your body, how high your weight is, and if you're still growing – are THE factors affecting your protein needs.
    For bodybuilders, popular websites and magazines endorse much higher daily protein levels. We've seen suggestions that the American Sports College backs 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily. We've read publications approving up to 2 grams per pound per day. The fact is that there's no reliable research available to guide or assure us. ATW suggests this: if you're a body builder, go protein extreme in cycles; balance your diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables; keep tuned-in to how you're feeling, and make smart protein choices.

The other common question is how much protein do I need after training?
    This depends on your goals and the answer may surprise you. If your goal is to add mass, you're going to need between 30 – 45 grams of a quick absorbing protein (Whey blend/isolate). If you're dieting and or looking to lean out than you may need between 40 – 60 grams, surprise surprise… Scratching head why - When training hard for mass, a post workout shot of protein helps stop muscle break down. But a high carb intake is also important, because of their impact on hormones such as insulin which is responsible for facilitating the passage of the amino acids into the muscles - which equal growth.
    On the flip side, dieting requires substantial drop in overall carbohydrate intake, less calories. While carbs remain low, the body risks breaking down and using its own muscle tissue for fuel. So a good dose of Whey protein after training protects against this, while providing a boost in insulin levels with out the carbs.

Is too much protein harmful?
    The fact that high protein diets are well tolerated by healthy adults is backed up by solid research. The body pulls nitrogen from unused amino acids to excrete through the liver and kidneys when there's excessive protein. According to the Mayo Clinic, it's people with liver or kidney disease who should consult a doctor before starting a high protein diet. Follow common sense to live safely on a high protein diet, and not a too high protein diet. Flush your system daily with lots of water. Opt for a whey protein shake mixed with water and you've already got a jump on protecting your liver and kidneys.
    Too high protein diets have been linked to increased chance of osteoporosis. Digesting protein releases acids that the body neutralizes with calcium. Whey protein has calcium and vitamin D, making it a great protein choice to keep calcium balance, and preserve bones.
    Finally, too high protein diets can mean too much fat. For the not active person consuming excess protein is like consuming an excess of anything. If you eat too many calories you're going to gain weight. Whey protein is low fat, so it's the perfect protein choice to keep you living low-fat, healthy and strong.

great find jaycue. what sci ppl need to know is protein is essential to skin health, as well as muscle repair etc.. even sedentary sci's should supplement protein
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Well I havent had to deal with a pressure sore yet.It must suck realy bad for you right now!I hope you heal soon your such a pretty young girl!Im not being a perv either Im just stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA
    Well I havent had to deal with a pressure sore yet.It must suck realy bad for you right now!I hope you heal soon your such a pretty young girl!Im not being a perv either Im just stating facts.

Thanx
    this is my first time and I can say that this is not an experience that I would like to repeat again. I am going to make an appointment with my doc and discuss protein and get him to check all my levels. Still trying to stay off it as much as I can. Some days the sore looks better than others.