Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TiLite ZRc Pics

TiLite ZRc Pics

When your a seating therapist at an SCI center and you spec out your own chair which you will be purchasing with your own money, a lot is at stake (not to mention my "web cred"). Therefore, I have been second guessing myself on my chair selection and specs ever since I placed my order for my 17x16 ZRc on 7/16. After getting a chance to really use it today, I am extremely pleased with how it came out. I mean this chair rocks! Here she is...

20.5" front/16" rear STF heights, 85 degree front frame, 25x1 Spinergy's with Primo Passage tires, handrims mounted close, 4" "non-light up" light-up casters, and small aluminum side guards with quad hole.

I initially ordered the 8.5-12.5" titanium back set at 12" After thinking about it, I called Jimbo at SportAid to change it to a 12.5-16.5" back. This allowed me to remove the extension tubes and plug the tops of the tubing...

"C" Package. No seat taper, V front end with 10.5" footrest width. 2 degree titanium camber tube with 1" wheel spacing...

The Quickie GT Ergo scissor lock fits the ZR's 1.25" tubing using the clamp from the no-charge push-to-lock wheel lock. If I move the rear axle further forward, however, I would need to trim the handles...

An added benefit of a 85 degree frame is the ability to stand the wheelchair on its front frame to remove the wheels. Hence, my economy impact guards...

This story might have had a less happy ending because of my initial "COG" selection--which I almost screwed up royally. I was basing most of my dimensions on a 17x16 Quickie GT which I recently ordered as a loaner chair for our inpatient unit. It's specs are nearly identical to my ZR. It had been spec'd with a COG of 2" and was on the tippy side (The casters lift with each push stroke when sitting on a 2" cushion). Based on this, I initially spec'd out a COG of 2.5" for the ZR. After I placed my order, I recalled that the two ZR's I've posted pics of here in recent months felt pretty stable, so I pulled their specs from my files. Turns out they had COG's of 3.25" and 3.5". Holy sh*t! Time to get a hold of Jimbo (again)! It must of seemed totally illogical to him that I wanted my rear axle to be another 1/2" forward while simultaneously explaining that I had mistakenly arrived at 2.5" using a chair with a similar frame design and a 2" COG that felt too tippy.

I selected 3.0" for the COG just in case I was wrong in my recollection about the stability of those other ZR's. Turns out that even 3.0" on my ZR was a tad too stable. Fortunately, there is 1.25" of fore/aft adjustability. I moved the axle forward by reversing the clamps so that the open part faces forward for cleaner look (as opposed to simply using different holes). An unexpected benefit of this method was that the more rounded corner of the clamp now face toward the rear of the chair where it is less-likely to cause damage when the wheels are removed. My guess is that the current COG in TiLite terms is 3.5". It is still more stable than the GT, and I could move it further forward, but I think I have a good balance where it is at. Had it been built with my original spec of 2.5", the clamps would have had to be moved out to the limit. IMO, Hype62's chair has a better initial COG spec (3.5" I believe). I am interested to see where the oval tubing will be located on his frame. JGNI recently mentioned that COG varied between manufacturers and was over-emphasized. Here's proof...

As for the using the ZRc, it is absolutely AWESOME! I can't believe how smooth and effortless this chair is to push. The segment of oval tubing connecting the caster barrel to the front frame has little noticeable flex (no endos from pushing off the front frame to stand up or reaching down to pick something up) but it absorbs impacts extremely well. Frog Legs are unnecessary and only add weight to this chair.

As requested, pics of me in it will follow...
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 08-07-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Well you certainly didn't disappoint. Can't wait to get mine, I also ordered through Sportaid, actually jimbo helped me as well. Awesome.

f
    ight

AH finally! Looking spank'n nice. Grats! Yeah mine will be with 3.5 COG preset, Im hoping it wont be too tippy with 16" of seat depth and 85 deg front end. With 3.5 COG that you have now, is it light on the front? Can you possibly go another 1/4 or 1/2 forward and feel stable?

Edit: Also, those side guards are the small ones right? I went with the standard size carbon fiber ones. After looking at yours, I'm wondering if I should change to the small ones. Do you know if the standard ones will be alot larger than the small? I dont want it extending over the top of the tire since I push up from that. I want it to be flush or a little lower than the tire. My chair will be 15" rear STF height and with 24" wheels, I'm thinking the standard size sideguards might be too tall . So I want to know how much bigger is the standard ones compared to the small.
    Last edited by Hype62; 08-07-2007 at 03:00 AM.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Hype,

You will be fine with your axle location. At 3.5", I can still reach over the backrest or roll back slowly and stop without going over. The front end is still light, though. Last night I went right over and expanion joint in our parking garage which would have planted the front caster on that Quickie GT (I mistimed my mini-wheelie). Honestly, I've never seen a chair so balanced.

I've never seen both side guard sizes at the same time. The 16x16 ergo ZR with the yellow 25" Spinergy's had the large. The other ZR had the CF, but I can't remember if there were multiple pre-drilled holes.

Don't worry, you'll be fine!

Excellent post! Thanks.

i have the small size cf sideguards on my tr - they are mostly level with the tyres, and dont get in the way of my pushing, but theyre still big enough to keep me, my jacket, and my assorted floppy bits out of the wheels.

edit: thats with 15.5 rear stf and 24 inch wheels
    Last edited by amyk; 08-07-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Sweet Ride
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Congrats!!!
    Beautiful chair, and now I am even more jealous and cannot wait for mine.

I had a HUGE fear of doing front endos when I had the demo, but even when I mistimed a wheelie over some train tracks and landed in one, I still didnt go forward...just stopped dead.

Wild how the COG can be so different on chairs, even when the frame type is the same...
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Quite the nice chair!! I hope it gives you many years of excelent service.

CONGRAT's,

MAC
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Site screw up.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 08-07-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt