Thread: Need some information on in home care in NH ...

Need some information on in home care in NH ...

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted and I'm sorry fot that--things have just been very chaotic for me. I'm sorry I can't be more specific right now--lets just say that my boyfriend and I are moving again. We orginally had decided to move in with my parents and well we built a accessible house together and things didnt work out as we planned, my step dad had a very bad relapse into alcholism and the house is not a safe place for me till he can dea with his drinking problem. We are moving out on our own again and are actually getting excited about it. Out of my respect for my mother we are leaving because she has enough to deal with right now and doesnt need to deal with my disability on top of it. She needs to deal with him and get him some help again.

So, I'm asking if anyone has or knows where I can get any information on NH medicaid in home care --I just dont want to call and not know what i'm elligible for or have a right to. I also have blue cross blue shield as well. Right now my significant other helps with most everything but he'll be retunring to work full time and doing school so i'm going to need a little help for a bit. Does anyone know if when I qualify if NH allows you to hire a friend or family member instead of someone I don't know. I'm looking for help with bowel care, showering since we wont be in a completely accessible apartment, and personal care.

So, I've been searching online for some info but can't find anything all to helpful. What I'm wondering is if I have to hire and nurse or if it can be a family memeber who can get paid for the two days I'd need them per week. I know rules vary state to stae but well I've never had to do this before but I know my limits and know I need help. Can someone point me in the right direction ?

I'd really appreciate it.

Nicole
    Last edited by ldykawakii; 08-07-2007 at 12:00 AM.

bump--still looking for help.

Hi Nicole ... I've been waiting for someone closer to your area to answer your question too. I'm up here on the Canadian prairie so I'm not much help ! Did you try asking your question in the Chapters forum for NH (New Hampshire right )? I hope someone has an answer for you ... all the best!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I don't know your state, but a good place to start is to talk to the benefits counselors at your local Independent Living Center. You can find a directory here: http://www.ilusa.com/links/ilcenters.htm

They will know about state funded PCA programs as well as the Medicaid program in general.

(KLD)

I replied to this thread. my post, its not here! oh my, is it somewhere else?

man, its gone!

i just mentioned you should look at these two links and some other things, but i will reply more in bit. (thoughts)

http://www.dhhs.state.nh.us/DHHS/MED...AM/default.htm

http://www.gsil.org/info.php?id=92 (your states independant living center, i think)
    Last edited by Lizbv; 08-09-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks everyone, we finally got some aid. I qualify for 20 hours a week of PCA help, I hired my long term boyfirned to do the work. He knows how to help with bowel care, and was doing it already. it just allows him to be able to only work 4 days and help me with bowel thursday night and Friday. He also is going to help with the stuff we'd normally do, cleaning, shopping, walking the pups, and showering. Nh was quick to help and we are really pleased and lucky. They also helped us get an application for food stamps, and the medicare program that instead of losing money from my SSI that the state would pay my premium which would be amazing. So thanks everyone for your help and suggestions