Thread: Charging wheelchair batteries

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Charging wheelchair batteries

Just finished a discussion with new PC owner about when batteries need charged.
    I told him what I learned here about charging the batteries every time they are used. Very hard headed. He says we don't know anything.

I think that SCI OTR posted some very revealing numbers about how often that batteries can be charged if they are recharged every day.

Is there something in print that I could copy so I can straighten this
    a_ _ hole out about how often wheelchair batteries need charged?

Dammit, he has me irritated!!

Thanks,

MAC
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

My batteries are about 5 years old and I've never charged them every night. I've even let them go as long as 2 weeks. I average about once a week putting the charger on them.

Yha, I'd go 4 weeks... very light uses.... The issue is DON'T LET THEM TOTALLY DIE!

That wrecks them

I charge my batteries EVERY night, and always have, or I'd be getting low on power by the end of the 2nd day. It may be different for some other, but I'm always on the go and damn well better charge them or suffer the consequences the 2nd day.

What's the big deal with your PC pluggin a friggin' cord in?? Why's he being so difficult about a simple task?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

A PC uses very different batteries from a power chair. Lithium ion batteries are relatively tolerant of being heavily discharged and not being fully charged, whereas lead-acid batteries (as used in most power chairs) will lose their capacity if they are not kept topped up as much as practical; deep discharge is very hard on them, and charging them every night is a good idea.
    It's interesting that nickel-cadmium batteries are the opposite - they lose their capacity if not worked heavily.
    - Richard

hehe PC = Power Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    hehe PC = Power Chair
    Duh, it must have been Evelyn Woodhead speed-reading course I took
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Ah - I thought you were comparing batteries from a computer!
    Charge your chair early and often!
    - Richard