Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcyle - Quickie Shark

Handcyle - Quickie Shark

Hi Guys an Gals!

I thought I'd ask the people that really know!!

I'm off to have a look at a Quickie Shark later on this week and would like to know from everyone if they have had or know of any problems with it?! Is there anything I should be looking out for?

I'll be paying about £1350 ($2741 USD) for it unless I can haggle and reduce the price a little, do you think this is a good price for a 2nd hand Quickie Shark in good condition?!

If anyone can think of anything I should be looking for then please please please shout!!!

Thank you all in advance!!!

Chris

Not sure if this helps, but I'm based in the UK and imported at the begining of the year a new Shark from Bike-On in the US. All in it cost £1900 and this was with quite a few extras such as the 27 speed gear upgrade, 26 inch rear wheels, detachable frame and few other bits and bobs.

So if you are getting just the base 7 speed Shark with 24 inch rear wheels and non detachable frame I would say the price is not great as the bike new on www.bike-on.com is $1895 (£928) + shipping approx $450 (£225) + import fees £130 = £1283 approx.

It took about 5 weeks to arrive, if time is a consideration (I bought mine in winter so I wasn't worried )

BR

I've been told it's the 27 speed with an additional break on the front wheel. I'm not totally sure on the size of the front wheel as I've only sat in it once and that was at the Mobility Roadshow a few weeks ago! I do know it's got the detachable frame on the front end. The guy that's selling it works for epc-wheelchairs and that's not too far from me so am visiting him! Time isn't a worry, I'll keep using my Chevron Easyrider until I find one at the right price, new or 2nd hand.

Do the 26" rear wheels make a difference? I always thought the size of the front wheel made more of a difference...!

Thank you bikeracer for your quick responce!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

The 26" rear wheels do not make a great deal of difference performance wise, but in terms of maintenance if all the wheels are the same size you only need to keep one type of spares instead of having to have both 24" and 26" tyres and tubes. Also the range of tyres and tubes is far greater for 26" wheels so usually are cheaper than 24".

Also I think from a looks side of things having all the wheels the same size looks a bit cooler!!

BR

I had a shark and paid around $2600 which I later found out that was about $600 to much. I'm a C6 quad and found out pretty quickly this bike is not suited for quads. The seat has no dump which allows you to slip down. I ended up sending it back and went with a quad pro from bike-on.

Blog Entries
    Bikeracer has your answers. Too high for used and go with 26in wheels all around. I have 24s. I can only get one tire basically. That sucks. I am going to build me a set of 26 wheels to save a fortune. I have really dirty roads so I wanted 24s for flat avoidance. I am at the point now that I want the lower rolling/wind resistance and fancy tire choices. I have learned to trust SLIME for flat avoidance. The best tires in the world won't stop flats around here, slime does.
    The shark is a good looking bike, I have also come to realize that a high back is needed for climbing steep hills, for support, for higher injuries. I have rigged removable height adjustments for my bike for when I go for the really big hills, >8%.
    My neck gets cramped from straining often. That high back is a great solution and leaning back more allows for greater force input and less wind resistance.
    I'd get a new one if you have the funds, or search longer for a lower price on the used side.
    Adjustability of all aspects is key to a good bike.

bikeracer,

I went to a company last week in the UK and they did a quote for me and it came out at... £2300 which I think is crazy as I can order one from USA for much less than that... why is it I can order something from America for cheaper than I can get it from the country I live in!!!!

I'm about to e-mail Bike-on.com to ask about shipping and import tax etc. to see what they say.

I want the detachable front fork, 26" rear wheels, 27 speed, the twist gear change (right hand side) brake lever (right or left not fussed!). I did print out the order form to see how much this would all cost me and it came out at.........£1612 ($3245).

I will get one from bike-on as I've heard only good things about them! Just hope the shipping / import tax isn't too much!!

Cheers

Chris

I've been in contact with Bike-on and they've come back to me with a quote. I went for all of the stuff I talked about in my previous post and the price is...£1446 ($2880) delivered to my closest airport which I think is a very good deal (better than the £2300 i was quoted...)!! I've just got to get one of my friends to drive a big white van to the airport to pick it up or alternatively I could get DHL to transport it for me.

Thanks for everyones help and keep up the good work!!!

Chris

Inquiring minds want to know...

Speed of a handcycle compared to a regular bike.
    Does it keep up with the Jones's or slower?
    Slightly slower or waaaaaayyyy slow..

I've been seriously thinking of getting into the bike scene.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Speed of a handcycle compared to a regular bike.
    Does it keep up with the Jones's or slower?
    Slightly slower or waaaaaayyyy slow..

I've been seriously thinking of getting into the bike scene.
    The best handcyclists in the world are pretty fast...they aren't much slower (if at all) than a normal bike.

For me...I usually maintain about 16 mph...I am definitely not one of the best. Once you get your endurance up...your maintain speed will increase.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss