Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok Im going to go to school.?

Ok Im going to go to school.?

Ive made up my mind ,Im going to school.I was already sighned up a few months back ,butI had to have a bladder surgery so I put it on hold.
    My question is has anyone started collage to get a degree?I ve been told to stay away from jr collages and go to cal state or cal tech.
    Im not sure what Im going to get a degree ,butIm making a list of my intrest and talking to a counsler.
    Anyone got any expereince with this matter?Dos and donts?

If you're not sure what you'd like for a degree yet, I would stick with general education classes that have the best chance of transferring credits if needed.

You better start with English.

Talk to a counselor and see what kind of aptitude tests they offer. Take all the tests in the same day then just let your mind mull over the questions. You'll find yourself leaning more strongly towards one field or another. Follow that hunch and do some research into it. You may find a career you never knew existed, yet now that you know you can't live without it.

Don't put too much stock in the results of the test. Follow your heart.

Kevin

I agree on the basic courses. Look over the course catalogue for one of the schools. Almost all of the majors will require the same college writing, math and other entry level courses. Then if next year you are learning towards a different degree, you haven't "wasted" any specialized courses. These credits should transfer easily.

Look into vocational rehab, if you haven't. A lot of people on the board here are getting their education paid for in part or in whole. (Search some threads too, there has been a lot of stuff recently, if you missed it.)

Good LucK!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA
    I ve been told to stay away from jr collages and go to cal state or cal tech.
    Im not sure what Im going to get a degree ,butIm making a list of my intrest and talking to a counsler.
    Anyone got any expereince with this matter?Dos and donts?
    I disagree with the stay away from jr colleges statement....You are just starting out, therefore you need the general education courses to get out of the way, these are the same no matter where you go, but they cost on average 3x as much at a university than they do at a community/jr college. If you're not exactly sure what you want to do you have a lot more flexibility in your choices at the CC than you do at the Univ.. Once you get an associates degree at the CC it is transferrable to the Univ for upper-level admission. You would only have to worry about limited access programs at that point.

Now the $ issue may not be the same if Calif still give free in-state tuittion to residents, but it's been many many years since I last looked into that....if they give the free tuittion then the cost issue may not be as big a factor...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

If you don't know what you want to do, don't go to a CSU or UC campus. You need to choose the right school based on your major, and even for an in-state resident, these schools are expensive. CA has excellent community colleges where you can do your GE classes, get career counseling, and explore different career options at very little costs to yourself (or the DOR). I don't know if the UC or CSU system was ever free...it certainly was not when I was in college in the 1970s, and definitely is not now.

Once you have determined a degree path, then look at the UC or CSU system to complete your education, or proceed to graduate studies (needed for many professions now days). Again, the community college system counseling offices can help you choose the right upper division school for you, and will help you with applications, etc.

Have you opened a DOR case yet? If not, you should do that now so that you are getting state assistance for books, class fees, etc.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you don't know what you want to do, don't go to a CSU or UC campus. You need to choose the right school based on your major, and even for an in-state resident, these schools are expensive. CA has excellent community colleges where you can do your GE classes, get career counseling, and explore different career options at very little costs to yourself (or the DOR). I don't know if the UC or CSU system was ever free...it certainly was not when I was in college in the 1970s, and definitely is not now.

Once you have determined a degree path, then look at the UC or CSU system to complete your education, or proceed to graduate studies (needed for many professions now days). Again, the community college system counseling offices can help you choose the right upper division school for you, and will help you with applications, etc.

Have you opened a DOR case yet? If not, you should do that now so that you are getting state assistance for books, class fees, etc.

(KLD)
    I think that is good advise.Ive already opened a case with DOR but I m going to get an apointment with them on monday.Im just not sure what they will pay for as far as state collages ,I know they were talking about city collages before? Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    You better start with English.
    Yeah my spelling sucks.Thanks for the negitive input jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA
    Yeah my spelling sucks.Thanks for the negitive input jerk.
    You're welcome. It was a joke, relax. Good luck with school.