Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inserting suppository....glove or no glove?

Inserting suppository....glove or no glove?

Does everybody use a glove when inserting their suppository, or do you just insert it ? It seems so hard to hang on to with the lubed up glove!

Use a glove without lube.

Glove with just a little lube on the tip of the suppos. Like Le Type says though, the lube is probably optional, since those things melt at skin temperature anyway.

You don't really need the lube, it can delay the effect of the suppository. You can wet it with a little water. Glove is optional.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    You don't really need the lube, it can delay the effect of the suppository. You can wet it with a little water. Glove is optional.

CWO
    thank you kld ,my sis always use gloves and ky lube.if the lube can delay the effect i must tell her and use water for better results regarding bp.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

i use a glove with no lube. i start out by checking whats there first, so theres already some lube 'down there'. then i put on a clean glove to insert the suppositories.

Quote Originally Posted by marielea
    i use a glove with no lube. i start out by checking whats there first, so theres already some lube 'down there'. then i put on a clean glove to insert the suppositories.
    you are lucky guys paras ...i cannot move my fingers or hold a supository...i always need full assistance [help].whitout full assitance i will meet my ancestors soon.dont get me wrong ,but this is the simply true.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I tried glove no lube....worked good to hold on to suppository, but seemed awful dry inserting finger? Are there some gloves that are more lubricating?

Did you try dipping the suppository in water or warming it a little in your hands first (with gloves on)??? You can also try putting a little bit of lubricant on you anus before inserting the suppository.

There are suppository inserters you could use Adi. If you have any wrist extension, it is possible for you to use these independently.

Don't even think about doing your bowel care without gloves. Even with good hand washing, it significantly increases your chances of transferring bowel bacteria to your mouth or bladder. We had a patient who did not wear gloves for bowel care and had UTI after UTI with intermittent cath. Once we convinced him to wear gloves for bowel care, his UTIs virtually stopped.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

Don't even think about doing your bowel care without gloves. Even with good hand washing, it significantly increases your chances of transferring bowel bacteria to your mouth or bladder. We had a patient who did not wear gloves for bowel care and had UTI after UTI with intermittent cath. Once we convinced him to wear gloves for bowel care, his UTIs virtually stopped.

(KLD)
    While I'm sure your advice is excellent I never wear gloves - just wash my hands before and after and use neem salve after BP. I get less than one UTI a year.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane