Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Salsa Recipe?

A better mousetrap...

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Jenn, I swear this chop wizard is the best
    I have to disagree. I've had one and didn't like it. It did the job, and well, but had a lot of drawbacks. Try this one:

https://www.bonzaichopper.com/
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

Quote Originally Posted by Bartski
    I have to disagree. I've had one and didn't like it. It did the job, and well, but had a lot of drawbacks. Try this one:

https://www.bonzaichopper.com/
    Oh believe me, I will. Always on the hunt for a chopper. Thnx for the link!

My salsa recipe, a canned, chopped, type tomatoe (your choice) fresh cilantro, green onion or purple,( if I use white its only vadalias) jalepenos (if you like it hot like I do)fresh garlic, lime, olive oil, cracked pepper, salt, dash sugar, cumin all ingrediants to taste. I pulse veges in proccessor, then add tomatoes and pulse again, along with other ingrediants. You can control how chunky you'd like it. This is a recipe from a mexican friend who told me if you use fresh toms they need to be cooked, she always uses canned for convienence. I let it sit at least a few hours and also will serve it poured over softened, cream cheese. It is yummy and will cure the blues for sure if served with a copious amounts of a good tequillia.

Pam
    Last edited by Princess "Leia"; 08-09-2007 at 08:01 PM.

from Wikipedia:

Salsa is the Italian and Spanish word for sauce, from Latin salsa "salty", from sal, "salt"; "saline" and "salad" are related words. It is usually pronounced IPA ['sɑɫsə] in English; in Spanish it is pronounced ['salsa].

Mexican salsas were traditionally produced using the mortar and pestle-like molcajete, although blenders are now more commonly used. Well-known salsas include
    • Salsa roja, "red sauce": used as a condiment in Mexican and southwestern U.S. cuisine, and usually made with cooked tomatoes, chili peppers, onion, garlic, and fresh cilantro.
    • Salsa cruda ("raw sauce"), also known as pico de gallo ("rooster's beak"), salsa picada ("chopped sauce"), salsa mexicana ("Mexican sauce"), or salsa fresca ("fresh sauce"): made with raw tomatoes, lime juice, chilli peppers, onions, cilantro leaves, and other coarsely chopped raw ingredients.
    • Salsa verde, "green sauce": Mexican version made with tomatillos. Sauces made with tomatillos are usually cooked. Italian version made with herbs.
    • Salsa taquera, "Taco sauce": Made with tomatillos and morita chili.
    • Salsa ranchera, "ranch-style sauce": made with tomatoes, various chilies, and spices. Typically served warm, it possesses a thick, soupy quality. Though it contains none, it imparts a characteristic flavor reminiscent of black pepper.
    • Salsa brava, "wild sauce": a mildly spicy sauce, often flavored with paprika. On top of potato wedges, it makes the dish patatas bravas, typical of tapas bars in Spain.
    • Guacamole: usually any sauce where the main ingredient is avocado.
    • Mole (pronounced mole ['mo.le]): a Mexican sauce made from chili peppers mixed with spices, unsweetened chocolate, almonds, and other ingredients.
    There are many other salsas, both traditional and nouveau: for instance, some are made with mint, pineapple, or mango.
    Salsa reputedly became popular in the United States during World War II due to rationing which made ketchup hard to produce.

Here's one of my favorite salsa recipes, or I guess technically more a pico de gallo recipe:

2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 10oz package frozen corn
    1 cup diced onion
    1/2 cup diced red pepper
    1 large tomato, seeded and diced
    3 tbsp cilantro, minced
    3 tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp jalapeno (or other pepper), diced

Fresh ingredients can be substituted for canned or frozen and vice versa, although I recommend fresh if you can. You can adjust to taste with any of the ingredients. It's best if you place in the fridge overnight and mix occasionally. It makes a huge bowl but wherever I've taken it people go nuts over it and I usually don't have any leftovers.
    Last edited by redbandit; 08-10-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Nice recipe..yummy...i was preparing salsa by using tomatoes..i will try this beans..sound good and fulfilling..

I hate tomatoes, but LOVE salsa. The hotter the better.

My parents grew tomatoes this year and am sick of smelling bacon from them making BLT's practically every night so I might take a few and try some of these salsa recipes. They sound YUMMY!!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

thats so bulgar

bulgar wheat is the bomb in salsa. toss it in very liquidy salsa and it soaks it right up overnight. and salsa is always great on the second day.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

A cardiologist's dream...

Quote Originally Posted by dcristo
    When I am in a rush, I just have Pasta Alla Olio
    My doctor will have a fit if he reads this, but I like plain spaghetti with butter and Asiago! Oh yeah, don't forget the garlic!
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

Asiago is a cheese
    Daniel