Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'OPEN HOUSE' in Florida

What time will it begin?

bump for details?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Florida 'Mini Open House' - More Details

We will have a room at the Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissemmee. Plan to start about 5:30. Wise will give a brief presentation so that there is lots of time for questions and discussion. Light appetizers.

Wise is giving a keynote to the AASCIPSW Conference at 3:30 that day. We are trying to find out if we can get free passes for that session. Cross your fingers.

If you plan to come, please send your (real!) name and the total number coming, including how many in the group will be 'bringing their own chairs'. Need this info to get a room of the right size. Send to: SCIProject@biology.rutgers.edu. Subject line: Florida Open House.

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to seeing you all!

Hold on to Hope,

Patricia

I'm assuming that we are talking about THIS CONFERENCE? I put a room on hold for the 27th & 28th. Need to check flights and ground transportation (and my schedule), but it seems likely I will attend. I look forward to meeting CCCers IRL.

So, who else will be there?
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

My wife and I will attend. Hope to meet other people from carecure. We're going to drive over in the afternoon and drive back to Tampa that night.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Conference Paper

#25 Obstacles to Overcome in the Quest to Cure Spinal Cord Injury

Wise Young, MD

Recent research indicate that three major obstacles block regeneration in the spinal cord. The first is the injury site itself which is frequently filled with cysts and extracellular matrix proteins that are inhospitable to axonal growth. One approach to this problem is transplantation of cells that bridge the injury site. The second is the long period of growth factor support required. Regenerating axons grow no faster than hair and therefore take years to reach their destination. Thus, continuous growth support is required. The third obstacle is the presence of axon growth inhibitors in the spinal cord. These include Nogo, a myelin-based protein, that stop axons. While therapies have now been developed for each of these obstacles, combination of therapies will be required to induce “rivers” of axons to flow across the injury site and all the way to their original targets. Such combination therapies are difficult to test in animals and are even more difficult to test in clinical trial. Large numbers of subjects are required. There is paucity of immune-compatible sources of stem cells for transplantation. While many cells have stem cell like characteristics, few are immune-compatible and available for clinical use. Approaches to solving these problems will be described.

Funding Source: Acorda Therapeutics

source
    Foolish

Foolish,

Count me in, looking forward to meeting you and all FL CC members. Can't wait to hear Wise speak too. We will be driving in for the afternoon and home that evening.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Princess "Leia"
    Foolish,

Count me in, looking forward to meeting you and all FL CC members. Can't wait to hear Wise speak too. We will be driving in for the afternoon and home that evening.

Pam
    Looking forward to meeting you, MikeC, XYNaPSE, lunasicc42, hopefully; doingtime, hp, Broknwing, and, of course, Patricia and Dr. Young.

Note that the Consumer Expo is FREE, so plan to come early if possible.

Who else reading this will be there?
    Foolish

I will be there with my wife and daughter. Looking forward to finally meeting some of you.

Check out this thread I started in the Life forum. It is related to this topic:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=86908
    Dave H