View Poll Results: For thosE that have tried both MWD & RWD, which would you prefer for outdoor use?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • RWD

3 60.00%
  • MWD

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive chairs

If you do wanna change i think they are going for about R60 000 at this this moment just not sure how much for shipping.They tilt back and back rest can also tilt

Hi Forestranger

I'm trying the genie standing chair next week but only tried a FWD chair once and i struggled to control it outdoors though it was also torque controller and had an anti tremor box on so reaction was very delayed and confusing.

I was on another forum but the guy seems to hate FWD, I cant get a RWD around my bungalow (i have one I've tried!) particuarly between the 90 degree angle between bedroom and lounge. I'd really like one for around house to do jobs standing but need to be able to handle it outdoors too

I'm trying to get tips on how to handle FWD outdoors so I don't get the fishtailing and chair trying to spin around and change directions?

Thanks

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have never had fishtailing problems with FWD but I have had caster flutter, the chair changing direction on me and the casters becoming stuck with RWD. I do have large standard tires on the Omegatrack so maybe that helps.

When any drive tires loose traction the chair will have the tendency to spin.

The MWD's I tried do get stuck when the drive tires suspend in air on irregular terrain except for the Frontier X-5 whose frame bends just ahead of the drive wheels to maintain traction.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 09-30-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

thanks for answering.

Can you give me some tips for keeping it in a straight line when outdoors? the estate road is paved but also testing it on gravel path and grass and trying to get it through a swing gate (or kissing gate).

I struggled so much with controlling the dragon outdoors that I'm feeling really nervous about this test drive with the genie, but can see how much potential the standing feature has for been able to manage much more around the house.

I could only use it indoors I guess but it be more worth the money if I could handle it around the village to get into shops/doctors/take dog out in it when scooter was been repaired or on charge etc.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I am not sure what to tell you. I do not want to say try to keep the joystick straight and steady in the direction of travel as I am sure you know that already.

Basically some chairs just drive steadier and in a straight line better that others. I need to re-correct my line more often in my Quickie as it will constantly veer from one side to the other. My X-5, not so much. The Omegatrac with a transmission and transaxle, never.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

that the quickie groove? FWD or MWD?

someone told me the difficulties with dragon maybe cos of high C of G cos the seat is between the drive wheels rather than sat on top of them (cos of the elevator and lower to floor feature) and i may find genie more stable.

I am having to rent a MWD while I am trying to get authorized for a replacement for an (UKK) Pride Quantum R-4000. The MWD is advertised as having a smaller turning radius, but it seems to me that it is a bigger problem because the back end is always banging into cabinets, doors, walls, etc., when I turn around. It has a longer back end, which is a real pain in the butt. Go for a FWD with large wide tires in the front, and you'll have a better turning radius plus more ability to go over elevation changes. I miss my Invacare Arrow--it was the best off roaring wheelchair I ever had, but it eventually had charging problems that could not be identified. It was awesome for camping. I only got stuck in gravel one time.

Charging problems that can't be identified? I'd have someone else look at it, that should be easy to repair, more than likely it's going to be the batteries or charger.