View Poll Results: For thosE that have tried both MWD & RWD, which would you prefer for outdoor use?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • RWD

3 60.00%
  • MWD

2 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive chairs

Rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive chairs

Hi All,
    Thanks to all who replied to my post re TDX SE vs. Q600. After reading some posts here and other online info I'm not so sure a MWD chair is the right choice for me. I do a lot of outdoor riding and a lot of that is in NYC where there are many sidewalks w/out curb cuts. I can go off them pretty handily w/my Storm Arrow. From what I've read, MWD chairs might get hung up in this situation?

There’s a very steep hill near my home that I go up & down often. Not sure of the grade but its probably max. My Storm has no problem w/the hill but I do get nervous going up when the casters begin to shimmy because they're barely touching the pavement ;-) From what I've read MWD's might have a problem on a hill this steep? How would it be going down this hill in an MWD? It seems the chair would be tilted so far forward I'd hardly be able to operate it?

The reason I was considering MWD was for the tight turning radius and I'm assuming MWDs are shorter in overall length than RWDs w/similar seating systems? When I 1st got my Storm I couldn’t get into the drivers side of my van as the chair was too long. It’s got Invacare tilt/recline seating. I had to ask my vendor to move the seat back, which helped a lot, but of course now the chair is wheelie prone. I've gotten used to it but it can get nerve racking sometimes and that’s another reason for my wanting an MWD. I'm going to demo a TDX soon but would like to hear from others their experiences w/MWDs.

Also, for those that have tried both types of chair, which would you prefer for outdoor use?

sorry i have no experience with either, but ive heard good things about the frontier x5, from indoor use up to off road. its centre or mid i think (i did say im clueless). anyway, there are a good few x5 users on wheelchairforums.com, who would share pics and whatever on getting it onto lifts, etc...

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I live in the woods and drive dirt and gravel roads.
    I prefer front wheel drive. It is nice to lead with big front wheels.
    Front casters tend to get caught and spin the chair around when coming into contact with cracks, uneven pavement, etc.
    Also I have found they tend to track straighter with FWD.
    You notice that a lot of the top end chairs lead with big tires; Permobil, ibot, TufTec
    Good luck,
    MAC
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Will not delete
    Last edited by forestranger52; 08-03-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Members can edit but not delete their own posts.

(KLD)

Thank you very much, KLD
    MAC
    Last edited by forestranger52; 08-04-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Sorry I am replying to a old tread but its a good one

Recently I tried my friends Q 600 I like FWD chairs to me it's a nicely built machine and the suspension is good Only thing is the castors are small and can get stuck in dirt ...

I have a alante' RWD chair that works great as simple as it is ..I can drive it all over and it fits well in my van ... plus I am very used to it . I know its basic but it really done me good .

how about tying a 4x4 chair great for outside

Thanks for the reply a Gypsy. I ended up getting an Invacare tdx sp and I'm sorry I ever did. My vendor had recommended Pride wheelchairs because of their reliability. However, I'd always used Invacare chairs which were always pretty reliable. Unfortunately, I've been having a lot of problems with the tdx, from problems with the electronics to problems with parts falling off. I will give the chair a thumbs-up for handling and one reason I chose the Invacare over the Pride was because of the Invacare's larger casters. My physical terror post has even suggested having a fundraiser to raise funds for a new chair, I also have to contact my vendor to see about a possible trade in for my TDX as I won't be eligible for Medicare coverage for another few years.
    Dan G. in CT

HI Riaan In my case because of my financial status I cant afford one of them 4X4 chairs But that sounds great ...

About 1 1/2 years ago I got a Q 600 handles great but has tendency of the front castors getting stuck in dirt when I go feed my dogs so I dont use that chair except in my house . it really is strong and can scoot up very steep ramps the problem with it is the castors are small and if they were pneumatic it would handle even better IMOP ... My Drive tires are Solid which personally lasts longer in my instance . but I will go to pneumatic ones someday .
    My original old alante' RWD I got is very dependable IMOP And I havent gotten it stuck Good reminder I need to replace the batteries soon but overall the alante is simple and works well .I've used it many years ... It's my all around backup chair ... drove it up steep ramps and all over like in stores etc... it is very simple no frills ,,,

This is a really good post
    Other day Some medical supply store told me medicare usually wont cover them for about every 5 years I think . I forget but theres a long time lapse that's why I held on to my Original old Alante' I needed a back up ...