Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: where are the OLD sci's?

where are the OLD sci's?

i don't see many people with sci to begin with, but i SURE don't see any old people in a wheelchair. why is this? maybe its b/c im from little town, USA..... but it makes me wonder. does having a SCI shorten my life?

This has been discussed before on this site. There may be some research studies suggesting that our lives are shortened ... but I think you're in control of the reins in that regard, rather than some stupid study.

I was twelve and a half. I'll be thirty-five near the end of the year. 22yrs post

I've always had some sort of pressure sore but I really noticed some health difficulties arising as I approached 30yrs old ... but this is someone who's worked shift work since age 19yrs.

I am impressed by the longevity shown on this site by some of the other members like Spadfan, Deadeye and Jukespin. I am happy to be in the midst of others who are along the same timelines as myself for length of paralysis - at around the two decade mark.

Hopefully you never see any of that .. depends upon how loud we yell for change (cure)!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I read somewhere that having a SCI shortens ones life by 15 years!!! Whether that's true or not, dunno. Hope not. Just take care of yourself and live for the now.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

A distant cousin of mine was a quad (hurt in his 30's), and lived into his 70's. He died about a year after I was hurt.

thanks for the replies. i didn't realize it was already discussed....oops.
    i was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year before my accident. i guess thats suppose to shorten the life span as well. guess i might be screwed!! lol .

Thumbs up never say die!

Quote Originally Posted by marielea
    thanks for the replies. i didn't realize it was already discussed....oops.
    i was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year before my accident. i guess thats suppose to shorten the life span as well. guess i might be screwed!! lol .
    we can't truly ''live'' if we worry about dying. i say spit death in the face and get on doing what you were born to do. i got lynnifer beat....i made it to 3 decades and 6 years in a chair. i'm 51 now and just waiting anxiously for them to do their magic on me and give me a little quality of life back.
    remember james allen's words........
    circumstances don't make the man they reveal him.

I don't see where today a persons lifespan is shortened by sci. I was paralyzed in 1968 at 12 years old and my family was told I wouldn't live more than a few years. I guess the the important thing is to try to keep in shape and be proactive in reducing uti's and pressure sores. There has been so much change in 4 decades especially in attitudes where care and cure are concerned, and for the better. Be positive and you may just be pleasantly surprised in a few years.

I am 36 years post and I am out everyday as long as it's no snow. Wheeling 3-5 km nearly everyday.

But I met a woman last years in her 80ies and she was post 57 years so I don't have plan to leave this planet yet. The woman has had a manuell chair for more than 50 years but now she had switch to an electric one a few years ago. And moved to a nursing home.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Sept 21 is the 21yr marker for me. And most of it has been up hill. Liveing is what I'm talking about. I'm to busy liveing to think about dieing.

c-5 c-6 incomplete.