Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: driving 800 miles solo in one day.

driving 800 miles solo in one day.

possible. I did it yesterday.

where? Northwest IN to Central VA w/ a couple sidetracks along the way.

time? this one took me over 15hrs including a 2hr break around lunch & usually 20min or so every time I stopped for gas (I get roughly 200mi/tank).

challenges:

1) getting gas. my quad paws don't work too well grabbing the pump handles. solution: asking for help. everyone was willing; no one would accept a tip or an offer to buy a drink. I didn't call stations in advance as I had no idea where I'd be stopping.

2) skin protection: I transfer to drive, rarely using a cushion unless it's a really long day, which this was. I just pulled the gel layer from an older J2 cushion & threw it in an old roho cover (more flexible) & put the combo on the seat. Worked like a charm but didn't breathe well.

that was about all the hassle I had to deal with. I dig road trips.

sounds like lotsa fun I LOVE road trips....I;m officially healed up as of tues so I'll be getting to take a couple trips this month...YEAH!!! Looking forward to 'em....

Did ya take pics?
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Only 200 miles from a tank of fuel! What the hell do you drive Scott?

Motoring trivia: At full throttle a Bugatti Veyron empties it's tank in 12 mins.

Well done on getting there.

chelle, nope, no pics this time. my friend in indiana has some that i may get my hands on soon. none of the road trip itself though.

timaru, a big heavy gas guzzling jeep that's oh-so-much fun (and I mean that!); actually it's not an ideal highway driver & gets better mpg at slower speeds, believe it or not.

I do them all of the time between socal and NW Montana. 1500 miles each way. Its a great feeling of independance!

I drive a big SUV and always get my own gas. I wear leather "grips" gloves that I buy in the three pack from costco. I stick my whole hand in the gas pump handle in the area that would be crushed squeezing the lever. Stick it into the tank and then with two hands squeeze and lock to pump. Those vapor catch pump thingys are a real pain so I try to avoid them. I also usually leave my cc at the front counter before I start pumping.

Great fun!

Cool Scott.
    Did get any time just to goof off?
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

bcripeq: huh, not a bad idea re: the gloves & a pump. I'll try that sometime!

vandamn: I was in Indiana for a week, so yup - plenty of goof-off time, just not much on the trips up/back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett

2) skin protection: I transfer to drive, rarely using a cushion unless it's a really long day, which this was. I just pulled the gel layer from an older J2 cushion & threw it in an old roho cover (more flexible) & put the combo on the seat. Worked like a charm but didn't breathe well.

that was about all the hassle I had to deal with. I dig road trips.
    Sounds like a great time!

When my seat fabric tore in my Monte Carlo, I took it to a reupholster who replaced a good bit of the original cushion with memory foam. The entire process cost me about $110.00, but I have no redness even after 4 hours. (Thats my longest w/o stopping)

Dave
    Dave

Thumbs up Scott-

I'm sure it was a great time.

I drove to Jacksonville, Florida from Chicago solo and did the same coming back. I only stopped for gas and grabbed some grub through a drive-thru and kept on trucking.

It was an amazing experience and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I liked it the most driving through the Smokies and passing Look Out Mountain.

I drove on the way back for 17 hours straight (stopping for gas, I got about 350 miles to a tank) as I couldn't see spending $100+ dollars on a room to sleep for a couple of hours.

Did you drive the jeep you have been working on? If so, hit any off-road trails?

Eddie

I'm starting on a 1200 mi trip today w/ my family. It takes between 20 and 24 hrs from start to finish. But well worth the time and pain.