Thread: Light notebooks or ultraportables?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Light notebooks or ultraportables?

I'm currently using a 5.5 year old Dell Inspiron that must weigh 11 or 12 pounds. Aside from being almost impossible to lug around with the chair, I find I can't use it around the house like I'd like to. I can't really lie in bed with it or sit in a recliner, both because it is too heavy and it gets too hot. So I have to use it from the desk which means sitting in the chair which means my back as butt get sore...

Anyway, anybody have suggestions for a really light notebook or ultraportable that's still got enough power to do engineering work? I use Linux as a desktop OS and VMWare extensively, so I can't really scrimp on processor or memory. I don't game on the computer though, so reasonably fast graphics and standard audio are okay (I'd like to at least try that new Compiz Fusion eyecandy). I will miss the 15.4" display but I know I'll have to settle for smaller, just hopefully not too small.

Brief anecdote: Last week I was trying to wheel along a sidewalk with my mega-notebook in its bag on my lap when the bag started to slip to the side. I grabbed it with one hand but the shift in weight whirled me 90 degrees straight toward the road. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to drop the bag and grab the wheels, with my casters inches from a 6 inch curb on a busy street! So i guess you could say getting a lighter notebook is a matter of life and death!

I'm interested in what you find out, Zero. I have been thinking about ultraporable for quite a while. Right now I use an Asus w3v and a treo 650.

~5lbs

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2375

Sony TX or TN. Most incredible computer ever! Fact light and battery will last from LA to NY and then some. I have the TXN19P. I have had lots of laptops (1 every 2 years or sooner) since my old non color compaq in the early 90s. This is best by far. Sprint wireless, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

Zero,

Maybe the Dell XPS M1330 will fit your requirements.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Maybe the Dell XPS M1330 will fit your requirements.
    Looks quite nice, $2498 as configured (ouch!) but that's what higher-end notebooks are going for nowadays I guess. I have to decide whether to push this with my employer now or wait a few more months to see if prices drop a bit.

Thanks.