Thread: Jesus to battle Barbie on Wal-Mart shelves

Cool Jesus to battle Barbie on Wal-Mart shelves

Jesus to battle Barbie on Wal-Mart shelves

By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
    Last Updated: 2:03am BST 01/08/2007

In pictures: 'God-honouring' action figures go on sale in US A foot-high plastic Jesus doll that quotes Scripture and a three-inch Daniel in the lions' den are about to do battle with Barbie and Bratz in toy aisles across America.
    Jesus: runaway best-seller

The nation's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, has announced that it will start carrying a line of faith-based toys in 425 of its 3,376 stores later this month to see if characters such as Spirit Warrior Samson can rival the popularity of superhero figures like Spiderman.
    The move is a first for the chain, which has carried religious-themed products including stationery and books before but never a line of toys.
    A spokesman for Wal-Mart said that the "faith-enriching toys", made by One2believe, a Californian company, would go on sale mainly in stores in the Midwest and South, the country's religious heartlands.
    David Socha, the chief executive of One2Believe, described his products as "real superheroes they (children) can believe in" and part of a "battle for the toy box" that offers parents an alternative to dolls and figures with violent or sexual
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...wbarbie101.xml

I love how it's labeled: "Jesus God's Son." LOL!

Is this unbridled capitalism or unbridled Chistianity?... or maybe just unbridled absurdity!
    Bartski,
    San Francisco
    (Somebody wake me up!)

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante

Isn't it odd that the only time in the Bible that JESUS lost his temper was when people were trying to turn a profit from religion? Then people somehow think he would like them to "honor" him by getting rich by pawning off a piece of plastic formed by slave labor in a third world country.

have faith and follow what jesus said ...doesn`t hurt ...helps a lot...my sinner opinion.good luck .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Chaptcheex
    Isn't it odd that the only time in the Bible that JESUS lost his temper was when people were trying to turn a profit from religion? Then people somehow think he would like them to "honor" him by getting rich by pawning off a piece of plastic formed by slave labor in a third world country.
    I agree, I think it's a bit disrespectful to make plastic toys of sacred figures. Divinity by Mattel?

I'm not sure I see a difference between this and any other religious statue. Except that this one is aimed at kids.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Quote Originally Posted by 6string
    I'm not sure I see a difference between this and any other religious statue. Except that this one is aimed at kids.
    Usually, statues are relics to be revered. They're reminders of the sacred.

I see your point though.