Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quad with unexplained bouts with nausea

Question Quad with unexplained bouts with nausea

My son is a C5 Quad. 3 years post and we see all the doctors and have had lots of tests including upper GI and MRI for this problem

About every couple of months he gets sick. He can feel it coming on for a day or so and then he throws up (if he can get it up). Afterwards he feels better but this NEVER happeded prior to his injury and no one has been able to explain it.

What should I do? Who should I ask? Anyone else out there like this?

He has no appetite, and has been put on Reglan and Oxandrine for that, He's got gastritis and takes nexium for it daily.

Any input would be greatly appreciate.
    Cj's Mom

does he have acid reflux? I never knew I had it until I had throat probs after my injury...I have what's refered to as "silent reflux" It typically doesn't bother me, but occasionally will and DOES do the same damage as acid reflux that everyone else can feel all the time...Does he have a good Ear Nose & Throat dr? Also a Gastroenterologist? They could work together to figure out exactly what's going on...

You may want this post moved to the care forum as you may get more responses, especially from the nurses...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

TBurnett , I'm moving this to Care Forum where I think it will get more responses . I hope that is ok .

Thank you ,
    Dogger
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

Does he have good resuts from his bowel program? No problem with the plumbing??. If constipated/impacted, it can cause nausea.

CWO

Wink SCI Nurse

Yes he has adequate bowel results every other day and had a very good one today but still got very sick.

Although, in the past I have noticed that a poor bowel movement has caused this same reaction. Thanks for bringing that up. He has been x rayed for impaction.
    Cj's Mom

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogger
    TBurnett , I'm moving this to Care Forum where I think it will get more responses . I hope that is ok .

Thank you ,
    Dogger
    I couldn't find where to put it. Can you tell me where you moved it to?
    Cj's Mom

Smile reflux

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    does he have acid reflux? I never knew I had it until I had throat probs after my injury...I have what's refered to as "silent reflux" It typically doesn't bother me, but occasionally will and DOES do the same damage as acid reflux that everyone else can feel all the time...Does he have a good Ear Nose & Throat dr? Also a Gastroenterologist? They could work together to figure out exactly what's going on...

You may want this post moved to the care forum as you may get more responses, especially from the nurses...
    He has a GI doc and and an upper GI done showing ulcers (he took carafate for) and gastritis and he does have reflux and takes nexium for this. Hadn't thought to involve an ENT doc. What could they do, cuz it's all in his stomach, he burps and feels his food coming back up and usually can swallow it back down. Thanks for your input. Anything is appreciated.
    Cj's Mom

Has he been tested for an infection.

Quote Originally Posted by tburnett1105
    He has a GI doc and and an upper GI done showing ulcers (he took carafate for) and gastritis and he does have reflux and takes nexium for this. Hadn't thought to involve an ENT doc. What could they do, cuz it's all in his stomach, he burps and feels his food coming back up and usually can swallow it back down. Thanks for your input. Anything is appreciated.
    There are disorders involving the throat and esophogas that the ENT can investigatte. Also, the ENT can use a scope and see any damage in his throat/esophogas...from the reflux or other probs...

Has he been testted for Barretts Esophogas?

The ulcers and reflux combined could be the cause of his nausea. The meds he is on may just be the wrong meds and not working. I take Aciphex for my reflux, it's a more expensive, "higher tier" med but it works well for me...I can def tell when I've missed it...

HTH
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

infection

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube
    Has he been tested for an infection.
    He's been tested for UTI but I am not sure what type of infection you are asking about. Lots of blood drawn though
    Cj's Mom