Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automobile for 'chair

Automobile for 'chair

I am looking for a new 2007 or 2008 automobile that can fit a 16" width rigid frame 'chair with the back folded down, 25" wheels. I will be the passenger in the vehicle not the driver. It must fit four people including me. The driver will stow my 'chair in the rear.

The Ford Focus Wagon fit perfect but as of June 1, 2007. Ford stopped production and they are all gone.

Next that fits my 'chair is the 2007 Kia Rondo, a little bit larger mid-size micro-bus/wagon cross-over vehicle.

I have also looked at the Mazda Mazda5.

Any other vehicles to look at that I can transfer into the passenger's seat and my folded 'chair can can just be lifted into the rear without taking it apart?

Volkswagen Jetta Wagon fit perfect too but they also stopped production several years ago. They will bring them out later this year. I am seeking to purchase something now.

I am looking for functionality not gas mileage.

Sorry, no van this time. Any suggestions for a new vehicle?

titanium4motion

I currently have a 2004 Taurus wagon. My kids just fold down the back of my chair and put it in the rear. I would assume that the 2008 would be similar in size. Is there a reason you need new? You could probably get a used focus wagon 2006 or so?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

i was gonna mention the taurus. i wanted but couldn't afford.

a lady at my rehab had one an her son's chair fit perfectly. i transferred into one easily while car shopping. c/6/7.

I bought a Mazda5, removed the seat behind the drivers seat and use a simple stick to close the sliding door. If your 16" chair has 4 degrees of camber or less it should easily fit through the door. Easy transfer, room for the chair with no disassembly, and still room for 3 full size people and 2 small people in the back. It gets 28 MPG and has the full compliment of air bags and other safety features.

I would recommend the basic sport model. It is the only version without the side skirts. In my opinion it is the ultimate automobile for the active para. I went with Suregrip controls this time. The stick is a 1/2X18 Schedule 80 PVC nipple with a Marlex street elbow screwed on one end and a PVC cap on the other. Incidently the same stick can be used to grab the loops on the rear seats for folding and unfolding.

2008 Ford Focus Estate Wagon

After a long search I did find a vehicle that would suit my needs. It is the Chervolet HHR. It is a larger vehicle. It is attractive in appearance and styling but a little more than I wanted to spend. I didn't get that right feeling that the HHR was the right vehicle to buy so I didn't buy one. I wanted to see what the new model year will bring in.

I read that Ford is bringing back the Focus wagon with a new redesigned front end. It looks like a mini-Volvo!

Information, pictures and credit from worldcarfan web site. Article and pictures are at:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071113....rd-focus-wagon

I liked the Focus wagon when I first saw it in May 2007. So I will wait until next year when the new model arrives and then purchase one.

titanium4motion

I'm a fan of the Subaru Outback. I don't own one but a friend does. It's easy to throw my chair in the rear & only have to fold down the backrest to make it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion
    After a long search I did find a vehicle that would suit my needs. It is the Chervolet HHR. It is a larger vehicle. It is attractive in appearance and styling but a little more than I wanted to spend. I didn't get that right feeling that the HHR was the right vehicle to buy so I didn't buy one. I wanted to see what the new model year will bring in.

I read that Ford is bringing back the Focus wagon with a new redesigned front end. It looks like a mini-Volvo!

Information, pictures and credit from worldcarfan web site. Article and pictures are at:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071113....rd-focus-wagon

I liked the Focus wagon when I first saw it in May 2007. So I will wait until next year when the new model arrives and then purchase one.

titanium4motion
    The Focus looks pretty nice. I would have liked a Volvo or a Subaru, but my brother is a mechanic and he says that the Subaru's leak oil like a sieve.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

dodge magnum
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

2007 Honda Element SC
    Still me. T10 ASIA A

Check out the Saturn Ion with the third side door.