Thread: flat free inserts, solid tube replacements

flat free inserts, solid tube replacements

Hey all. The kid is getting flats or slow leaks in his wheels almost daily from being in the shop vs. the office now. I've wondered about the foam filled tubes but noticed the solid tubes... anyone try either~ your advice or opinions would be appreciated! As well, he seems to wear out any type tire within months- from everyday street to pneumatic performance tires, any suggestions? TY. ~tees
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

I was tired of flats, so I decided to try a pair of shox. I am really hard on my chair and I love these tires! The first pair has been on for 5 months... no problems! Still good tread on them to, and I would guess I log about 3 miles per day. Only issue was getting used to the fact the rubber was alot harder, slowing down the chair with my forearms on the tires when my hands were full was a bad idea!

I'd give them a try, alot cheaper, and alot more convenient than "limping" home with a flat!

I've always used the foam inserts in my tires and have never had a problem with them; even when I've worn small holes into my tires.

I have used inserts since day one in 1992, and gave tubes a try but didn’t like them. The inserts add a little more weight, but I think it’s worth it. You can wear the tires thread bare. Keep in mind that there are one-use inserts and there are reusable ones. I had a pair of the former that literally fell apart during the second use. They were urethane, and they crumbled into little pieces, very nasty.

I have found that tire wear has a lot to do with alignment. If one wheel is adjusted slightly forward or behind the opposite tire it causes more wear. Also, if the wheels aren’t parallel to each other for some reason, that causes wear. I have notice a huge difference with tire wear and the amount of camber you have. More camber means faster wear. My tires with no camber last about 2 or 3 times as long.

I got a pair of 24" SHOX solid tires after 29 years of using pneumatics. I really like them. It's easier to push because there is less surface area touching the ground (they are 1" wide not 1 3/8" like the pneumatics). I got the 110psi (firm) tires.

http://www.spartech.com/wheels/shox_...air_tires.html

i have schwalbe marathoin plus evolutions (black) for 24s, and would never go back to solids. theyre 145 psi, and have 'smartguard' for puncture protection. you can even stick a pushpin into the tire and it wont touch the tube. mine havent even worn at all, and ive had about a year and a half of use, about 6 months of it on my powertrike, so very hard use. my ones are 25-540, and i think broknwing has the 26...

Red face

Interesting... shox or schwalbe. So, the solid tubes are good, very durable but heavier. Whereas a resilient tire offers less risk of flats as well. Hmmm. Which way to go? What do Shox cost around? The schwalbe are just under $50. I've found some solid tubes at $35 and "kevlar" tires at $30 through caremedicalsource.com, whom were reasonable and quick with last order. Btw, can a 24X1 replace 24X1 3/8 tire?
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

if you want to stick with pneumatic, try a liner. You can pick some up at any bicycle shop. Saves me from flats 99% of the time.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org