Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ricky James’ offer to donate $200,000 to the Keirstead Laboratory

Ricky James’ offer to donate $200,000 to the Keirstead Laboratory

Ricky’s offer to donate $200k
    I appreciate Ricky’s commitment to spinal cord injury research and his faith in the work being done in my laboratory at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center at UCI with regards to chronic spinal cord injury. I cannot however in good conscience accept Ricky’s generous gift offer to help fund the pre clinical work we are doing for chronic injuries. I explained to Ricky that these fund raisers are aimed at raising money to help people in his situation not to take from them.

I told Ricky that his real gift to SCI is his positive and upbeat persona and that it would mean just as much to me, my lab and the center if he would use it to spread awareness of the research that is being done, talk about the necessity of rehabilitation and good health. I have offered to work with Ricky and help him in his new role.

Wow, welcome to CareCure Dr. Keirstead!

I explained to Ricky that these fund raisers are aimed at raising money to help people in his situation not to take from them.
    That's very honorable of you.

A noble gesture by both of you. God speed to you in your work Mr. Keirstead!!
    KB

Hans , welcome to CareCure . I sat in on your presentation at the ISSCR in Cairns [remember the bloke in a green wheelchair who asked a question on the glial scar ?] and was hoping to meet you in person , but unfortunately never got the chance .

Thank you ,
    Dogger
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

Hans Keirstad,

An incredible jesture, however, please don't allow your work to be slowed or compromised by not accepting donations from the SCI community.

We, as well as our influence, could be some of your greatest assets.

I would rather be broke and walking than to die wealthy in a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Hans Keirstad,

An incredible jesture, however, please don't allow your work to be slowed or compromised by not accepting donations from the SCI community.

We, as well as our influence, could be some of your greatest assets.

I agree 100%, and obviously so does Ricky.
    "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Schmeky,
    I agree with you too.

My gut goes with Dr. K. on this one. I am so impressed by a righteous move, and a righteous man. With the spirit and determination Ricky has displayed, he can parlay that $200K into much more, and I have no doubt he will. Fundraising and advocacy costs money though, and it's a good plan to keep some capital to build on. As my friend SusanM often says, finding a cure for SCI is a marathon, not a sprint. A person needs a war chest to fight a great battle.

I'm expressing this poorly. Dr. Keirstead, I don't know if you'll remember me from Working 2 Walk 2006, but it was an honor to meet you. I'm proud to have you in our community. As the previous posters put it (much better than I), this is an honorable thing for you to do.

Betheny Winkler

Doc,
    Thank you for your dedication and passion, please keep going.

Here is the article on the donation;
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1789971.php

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky

I totally agree with you on this one, David. I have told several of my friends and family that I would gladly give up all my not inconsiderable earthly belongings in exchange for being able to walk again.

Welcome to CC, Dr. Keirstead. I have avidly followed the progress of your research since my accident a little over two years ago.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>